All aboard for this week’s Digest…
- Summer Grand Prix Proxy Registration/payment date for the Summer Grand Prix Proxy is the 20th May, with cars to be received by the 27th May. The event will be running four classes over ten races, 5 routed wood stages & 5 plastic track (3 Scalextric Sport, Policar and Carrera) stages.
- Triple Crown – American Road Race With the sixth round of the proxy tour run at South Manchester, the cars headed off to to “Goldrock” in Burnley for the next round. Check out all the results.
- UK HO Drag Proxy – The Inline Show The Inline Show is the second event in the four-event 2022 schedule at the Rock County Eighth Mile. June will see the first inline only races on the HO scale 1/8th mile drag strip.
- Your Club This week brought news of slot racing at Worthing, New South Wales, Norwich and Southend, as well as an interesting Time Trials challenge.
- AFX Racemasters Ford MkIV Can you believe this is a 1:64 scale HO slot car? From the near-perfect lines of the Ford MkIV to the transparent headlamps, windscreen and detailed wheel hubs and wing mirrors, this has to be one of the best HO slot cars ever produced.
- Ford Escort MKII RS2000 X-Pack Rothmans Teamslot’s UK Special Edition of the Ford Escort MKII RS2000 X-Pack Rothmans will be arriving with retailers over the next few days.
- Slot.it Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 The CA49A Nissan, raced by Matt Parry, Alex Buncombe & Lucas Ordoñez at the 24 Hours of Spa 2018 has arrived in the UK and will be available from retailers over the next few days.
- Golden Era F1 Slot Cars by Kostas Dzingovic The Golden Era project started when Kostas was a young slot car builder and collector. His first creations were to fill a gap in his favourite era of Formula One – cars that no-one else made in 1:32 scale. Four years ago, he turned this hobby into a business, and the plan is to offer an option of unassembled kits – bringing the Golden Era cars to a wider audience.
- Racing Replicas Pete Shepherd has just finished a gorgeous AA Bodies Lotus Mk.IX which will be part of his Slot Festival display. It’s a fictional livery, representing a typical club racer, and sits on a Penelope Pitlane chassis.
- AA Bodies AA Bodies produce quite a range of unusual slot car bodies. So if you’re interested in a Morgan boat tail, a Kieft F3, a Nardi 750 Le Mans, or of course a Lotus Mk.IX then check out their website.
- Lotus Mk.IX The year was 1955, the mortar between the bricks of the Lotus factory had just dried and Colin Chapman had come up with a new racecar. Known as the Lotus MK9, it was a light and potent sports racer penned by Frank Costin.
- Frank Costin Francis Albert Costin stands among the great generation of British designers who acquired lifetimes’ worth of practical expertise in World War II aeronautics. Much of Colin Chapman’s success with Lotus is also Costin’s.
- The Great Curve As the British aviation industry rapidly contracted in the immediate post-war era, Frank Costin and Malcolm Sayer put their pioneering aerodynamic skills to good use in motorsport with Lotus, Vanwall and Jaguar.
Tracks & Scenery
- New Toronto track After moving into his new house, Doug is now setting up his swanky, CNC routed, three lane track in his mancave.
- New Track build After a gap of 11 years gref is building a new three lane routed track. No CNC required here, gref seems to know his way around a router, and is sharing step by step photos of the build.
- Here’s a familiar story for you Mediaboy has shared his 19.25m Holly Farm RaceWay, a lovely, clean build that needed to be easily set up and taken down.
- Belgian Kyalami Progress continues on Anthony’s Revell track build, as the iconic buildings, and typical South African scenery are built up on the Kyalami circuit.
- What have I DONE? Has Anthony lost his mind? Has he moved over to the dark side? No, he’s just bagged a big haul of trains and track for a bargain price.
- Maybe this is a step too far? Savage GT has also been getting into trains, helping his father to set up a model railway. It’s a lovely little layout.
- Magazines ePilot’s excellent magazines thread has also branched out to include railway modelling publications. There’s plenty to learn about scenery there, even if trains aren’t your thing.
- Not your typical Scratch Build Ernie has shared the details of one of his fascinating scratch built “Retro Mod” chassis. Built from phenolic composite sheet, and aluminium, it certainly looks the business.
- Slot Car Magazine May 2022 The May 2022 edition of Slot Car Magazine has just been published – ready for a busy weekend at the UK Slot Car Festival later this month. Ric and Marc will be there with boxes full of the latest magazine, plus plenty of back issues – and some goodies to give away in a prize draw. But you don’t have to wait until Gaydon to buy your copy…
- Tony Brooks – Legends Understated and unassuming, Tony Brooks never sought the limelight, but then again he didn’t need to – his driving did the talking. Nigel Roebuck takes a look at the career of Tony Brooks who sadly passed away this week.