Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AFX Racemasters Ford MkIV - HO scale

AFX Racemasters have just announced plans for a brand new model in their 1/64 scale 'Collectors Series' range of classic cars. The Ford GT MkIV is expected to be released around August this year in the yellow livery of the 1967 Sebring winning car, driven by Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti.

There's no confirmation of which Mega-G+ chassis the body is designed for - the standard 1.5" wheelbase or the longer 1.7".

It is getting on for 20 years since the release of the AFX Racemasters Ford GT40 MkII, a highly-detailed model that set a very high standard for HO slot cars. The MkII has appeared in numerous liveries - including all eight of the 1966 Le Mans cars, plus Daytona and Sebring cars from 66 and 67. A new MkII livery - the Foyt / Ruby car that was runner-up at Sebring '67 - is also scheduled for a summer 2021 release.

I am sure we can expect all four cars from the 1967 Le Mans 24 hours at some point...

But apart from the white 'presentation' livery and the #1 yellow Le Mans test car, that's all the options exhausted - significantly fewer than for the MkII and Cobra Daytona, but more than the Chaparral 2D - all previous Collectors Series releases. One nice touch from AFX is new wheels for the MkIV.

The cars will be widely available in North America and Australia, but European HO enthusiasts will wait with baited breath to see if Racemasters can get any distribution up and running again here.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

NICE - but is it just me or does the perspective on the roof/rear window view look wrong?

In fact, after a second look the front view looks a little odd too. Both seem to show a wider right hand side.

Nevertheless, can't wait. This should be just as succesful as their GT40, which is still much sought after  Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

I've just been on a seminar regarding some 3D viewing software...it could be that the views are orthogonal whereas our brain is expecting them to be in perspective, therefore is overriding what our eyes are seeing and enlarging the side of the car further away.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 3 members Like BARacer's post

Ah. A perfect explanation. Thank you  Thumbup

I didn't think they'd have got it wrong - but it certainly deceives the eye.
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

(19th-Mar-21, 10:54 AM)BARacer Wrote:  I've just been on a seminar regarding some 3D viewing software...it could be that the views are orthogonal whereas our brain is expecting them to be in perspective, therefore is overriding what our eyes are seeing and enlarging the side of the car further away.

I think that's absolutely right. Thumbup
[+] 2 members Like JasonB's post

So if I have gone and diverted this thread off topic, I may as well go all in...

It's the same optical illusion that make us think that the sun is bigger in those beautiful sunset pictures of it dropping over the horizon. Our brains think the sun on the horizon is further away than the sun directly overhead, so makes a sub-conscious mental adjustment in size.

P.S. It's not my own theory, I read it in a book.

Anyway...nice Ford!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

You mean like this?

Sun

I am really looking forward to these being released. AFX have done such a good job with the previous collector cars and these should be just as good. The detailed wheels are an extra bonus. Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes Mazda's post

Racemasters have released these images of the first tooling sample of the new car...

There are a few small adjustments being made, but the MkIV is still on schedule for release later in the year. There should be some liveried samples coming soon.

Thanks to Racemasters for the pics.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

AFX released this image of the first decorated sample of their new Ford MkIV...

The livery is of the car that won the 1967 Sebring 12 hours - the first of only two races entered by the MkIV. Mario Andretti and Bruce McLaren drove the single car in Florida. The other race - the 1967 Le Mans 24 hours - will offer AFX four more liveries.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post