Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Pioneer Legends.
#1

I like these cars, and to be fair they run pretty good out the box on my wood track.
But I have some things I wanted to change for aesthetic reasons.

1. I feel the wheels are to far outside of the arches if you compare them to pics of actual legends cars.
2.I don't like the gap between chassis and body when viewed from the side.
3. I wanted them to sit lower.
4. I wanted to use my preferred tyres
5. I don't like the play in the standard guide blade arrangement.

Point 1 - The stock car does have some spacers fitted which you could remove and trim the axles down to lose around 2mm from the (circa 65mm) track width.
The tight areas are the bush mounting on the rear opposite the gear side, and the width of the front with bushings.
I wanted a little more, and with some hubless alu. 8.5mm wide wheels mated to some suitable tyres and 1mm offset rear bushings with thinner walls than stock helped, and lowers the back end by 1mm. 
Combine that with my wheel tyre combo of 20mm diameter compared to the stock 21.5mm and we have lowered the rear by 1.7mm already.
In total I can now bring rear track in to 60mm and not rub (although I will likely move them out a bit from that). That is with a Slot.it sidewinder gear in place too.

Point 5 -  I usually address this on pioneer cars by reaming out the guide mounting hole and inserting a suitable diameter brass tube and use the Pioneer deeper guides.
In this instance I was going to use some Revoslot guides rattling around in my spares box, and wanted the recess in the chassis filled in as this wasn't required for the guides and braid I will use.
I had some guide mounts from Scaleauto universal chassis in the spares dept, so I used those and a dremel to achive that objective.
I also pilfered the adjustable front axle mounts from the Scaleauto universal chassis and shaped to fit.
This removes the need for front bushings and allows me to match the rear track width reduction while still using a pair of 0.5mm spacers and a tiny bit of sideways float on the front axle.

And of course using the alu. wheels addresses point 4.

Here is the chassis after guide and front axle modifications.

[Image: QbBpp0z.jpg]

Offset bushings, not quite perfectly placed yet as was just mocking up for clearances.

[Image: Y0nu5Nu.jpg]

Moving onto point 2.
This is what I wasn't fond of:

[Image: fO0LnZs.jpg]

So I dremeled the front and rear body mounting posts down by approx. 2mm.
This also required making a small recess for the exhaust on the rear arch.

[Image: ejvc0Ho.jpg]

I also trimmed some off the chassis sides and opened out the chassis holes a litttle . I will be using 7mm MB slot smooth shank body screws to help body float.
Then it was the chassis support rails that were the limiting factor. So I ground them away and we are getting into the right ballpark.

[Image: If7Ks0b.jpg]

But naturally that did leave the chassis weakened.
So I cut some square section brass tubing to make strengthening rails further inboard, and added some weight up front. Pictured before epoxying it all in with J-B Weld.

[Image: j265aqz.jpg]

Progress is halted while I wait for the epoxy to set.
J-B weld is a slow setting epoxy. They do a quick set version but it isn't as strong, so patience is the key.

Further updates in due course :)
[+] 3 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote
#2

Excellent chassis upgrades, Mr. Savage.  Thumbup
Quote
#3

Trim down the bumper mounts to allow the body to snug down onto the chassis posts ...

[Image: 99IRORa.jpg]

And the chassis ready for body fitting.

[Image: MHRBZbK.jpg]

End result compared to stock, subtle but certainly lower.

[Image: XzSyBZb.jpg]

And a couple of shots with less tyre outside of the arches, I plumped for a 61.5mm front track 62mm rear track compared to the stock 65mm all round.

[Image: UWSpzbS.jpg]

[Image: CMs5qyO.jpg]
[+] 5 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote
#4

From what I can see I suspect the reason for such a wide axle, wheels and tyres protruding so much outside the body would be to obtain stability due to such a short wheel base.

How do the Legends run stock standard stability wise?


Quote
#5

Hi Johnno, as I mentioned, they run pretty well stock, better than you might imagine given the wheelbase.
This was just an exercise in aesthetics for my personal taste.
Just a pity I couldn't find any inserts to  fit the 16.5mm wheels that look as good as the Pioneer wheels, but I have something on the way that may rectify that :)
[+] 1 member Likes Savage GT's post
Quote
#6

Johnno I did a review of the stock item HERE.

They perform remarkably well providing you don't run them at much more than 12v. The short wheelbase and torquey motor make them very twitchy on corners at higher voltages.

Nice work Tel, very pretty. Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes CMOTD's post
Quote
#7

And finally, something closer to the style of the original wheels  Checkeredflag

   
[+] 1 member Likes Savage GT's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Brumos RSR
8th-Nov-23, 09:36 PM
Last Post by nkarres
6th-Nov-23, 08:10 PM
Last Post by CMOTD
17th-Mar-23, 03:46 PM
Last Post by Kevan
27th-Feb-23, 02:29 PM
Last Post by Top Down
14th-Jan-23, 04:31 PM
Last Post by Top Down
18th-Oct-22, 07:27 AM
Last Post by Top Down
7th-Dec-21, 09:43 PM
Last Post by Pioneer
5th-Sep-19, 06:25 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)