Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Extreme Slotting
#51

The only SCX raid car I can find is the Renault 4...are you seriously saying this is one of the favourites for the event??? 

Is there an idiot's guide with a list of available vehicles? That would be very handy for us folk who need to buy something in order to enter.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#52

Tease  Not even sure what the SCX Renault is, but as for favourites  Rollingred 

But yes I take the point, I will compile a list of fairly popular standard cars and some ideas for Scratch build cars.
[+] 1 member Likes Graham's post
Quote
#53

   

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#54

(4th-Apr-21, 05:37 PM)BARacer Wrote:  The only SCX raid car I can find is the Renault 4...are you seriously saying this is one of the favourites for the event??? 

Is there an idiot's guide with a list of available vehicles? That would be very handy for us folk who need to buy something in order to enter.

a quick look on the bay uk
there is a SCX hummer and a tuareg available along with the renault
but yes a list of cars would be great 
i keep looking at the scally datsun 4x4 for the C3 scratch category ( but i will probably mess it up )

looks like POWERSLOT made some raid cars and quads also
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post
Quote
#55

Ah, not knowing specific vehicles, I was searching 'SCX Raid' and 'SCX Dakar'.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#56

The SCX Renault 4 is from a very early Paris Dakar, 1980 were it finished 3rd overall in the hands of the Marreau brothers.

In 1979, the first Paris  Dakar they finished 5th overall. This was out of all participants,  cars, bikes, trucks etc. 
To do the Paris Dakar you did need to be pretty mad, but a Renault 4, even if it was 4 wheel drive, crazy  Wrench

The SCX slot version does not have a drop arm guide, but is a great little car.  The SCX Citroen 2CV's do have a drop arm guide,  and can get round a Ninco off road track very competently,  at least with the magnet in place......

Here's a photo of my SCX RENAULT 4, taking part in one of our club Formula Libre/ Run What You Brung events.   
And yes, it got well and truly stuffed.   But that was sort of the point really........    
[+] 2 members Like Gpa113's post
Quote
#57

Something else that's confusing me...

Why have magnets in a raid car when half the time it's stuck 8" above the metal rails clambering over rocks?

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote
#58

(4th-Apr-21, 05:56 PM)Graham Wrote:  But yes I take the point, I will compile a list of fairly popular standard cars and some ideas for Scratch build cars.

Too late...vehicle purchased yesterday before word of this event spreads and prices rocket!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote
#59

SCX raid cars run better than you might think without magnets. The tyres have reasonable grip and the 4 wheel drive helps. They will circulate without drama on my wooden track, not super fast but very little sliding about. Despite their large size and high centre of gravity they don't roll over unless you do something fairly stupid. Aftermarket tyres would undoubtedly make them better but I don't know anybody who makes  such a thing.

Not much mention of Avant Slot in this thread:
   

75mm drop arm, 25k motor and will cope with all the SCX obstacles. Much better performance than either SCX or Ninco but just as hard to find and top dollar when they appear on eBay. White kits currently available from Pendle's at reasonable price though. LINK

Of course you could go potty and get one of their six wheel drive trucks Bigsmile LINK
[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post
Quote
#60

Wavegreen As BARacer suggested (before he went out and bought one  Rofl ) I thought it would be a good idea to list as many RTR Raid cars as I could find on google


I will update this list if anyone wishes to contribute


.pdf Raid car list.pdf Size: 15.45 KB  Downloads: 218


But also regarding self assembly cars/trucks there is a number of options.

1) As mentioned a couple of brands like Avant have for sale white body kits.
2) Also it is possible to buy occasionally Revell off road Static press fit kits, these are easy to assemble and put in place a Raid slot car chassis, "Olifer" on Shapeways has made the Mitsubishi Lancer and Nissan Navara 3d chassis for these models at the end of last year.
3) There are a number of Raid slot car resin body kits available in limited numbers from enthusiasts abroad, to fit your own bespoke off road chassis to.
4) 3d printed body kit with chassis , I have seen a entire slot car truck made as 3d kit, perhaps this may become more available in future as a quicker way to make these low volume models.

I think because of the relative high cost of new RTR off-road slot car models, perhaps scratch building maybe the best longer term option.

The other question about the use of magnets is interesting as I think with these models running on rough terrain,  severe hump back hills, jumps and obstacles, I also question how useful the magnets are to offer an advantage in this context. But of course there are still some smoother track sections whereby they might be an advantage over non magnet cars. Overall I think perhaps the use of magnets are not as advantageous as for straight smooth track racing we are most use to.  It is one reason why I thought to allow magnets for Class 1 cars for this first event.
[+] 1 member Likes Graham's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Graham
18th-Sep-25, 08:52 AM
Last Post by Kevan
11th-Mar-24, 08:15 PM
Last Post by Kevan
4th-Mar-24, 08:56 PM
Last Post by Kevan
28th-Dec-23, 12:44 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)