The week’s best slot car and motorsport news
This week, there’s plenty of new slot cars – including a first look at the Scalextric Rover SD1 and eight custom Policar Minardis – a Monaco feature, a crazy Subaru and a history of Super Shells…
- Fly Tribute to Vic Elford Fly have produced quite a few Vic Elford models over the years, but this Marathon de la Route winner has been rushed out as a tribute to the Porsche legend, who died in March.
- Avant Slot Resurrect More Spirit Tooling Expected this autumn/winter are four new cars from Avant Slot, using the tooling for the Spirit VW Golf Mk1 and BMW 2002tii. We’ll take a closer look in the news forum over the next few weeks.
- Lotus 72 Monza 1971 Another forthcoming Lotus 72 model has the peculiar distinction of not actually turning a wheel during the race. Expected from Policar in 2023, Herbert Müller’s Lotus 72 was withdrawn from the 1971 Monza GP due to legal concerns after the death of Jochen Rindt the previous year.
- 595 Abarth Gr5 PRS Slot have announced a series of 595 Abarth Gr5 in Martini, Alitalia, and Lucky Strike liveries, plus a white kit. The cars are resin bodied with etched parts and an aluminum chassis.
- Policar Celebrate Giancarlo Minardi Eight Policar Monoposto cars decorated with Atalaya decals created a wonderful grid of Minardi Formula One cars for the sixth Historic Minardi Day at Imola this weekend.
Lost & Found
- Super Shells We’ve added another manufacturer to our Lost & Found section, namely Super Shells, who produced a range of body kits in the 1960s – many of which are still available today.
Tracks & Scenery
- New Figures PRS Slot have released a series of ten new 3DP figures which will look sensational on any modern-day track.
It’s Monaco baby
- F1 2018 We’ve got four different versions of the modern track in our F1 2018 section, including an accurate routed track plan with the all important elevation map, plus Scalextric, Ninco, and Tomy versions too.
- Grand Prix We also have a Scalextric plan of the track as it was in 1966, when it featured in the fabulous Frankenheimer film “Grand Prix”.
- Model Car & Track Four different versions of the Monaco Grand Prix circuit were included in the October 1964 issue of Model Car & Track.
If you’ve ever built a Monaco inspired layout, why not show us your track?
- Travis Pastrana and Subaru at Goodwood Festival of Speed One of the many highlights of this year’s FOS was a crazy 862hp modified 1983 Subaru GL Wagon dubbed the ‘Family Huckster’. In this video, we follow Travis as he soaks up the atmosphere and competes to be the 2022 King of the Hill.
Livery of the weekend – PF Racing Ford Mustang GT4
The IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge series is definitely one for Scalextric to look at for their Ford Mustang GT4 model.The PF Racing Mustang was the race winner at Virginia International Raceway on Saturday.
- Nascar at Daytona The line-up for this year’s Nascar Cup Series playoffs was decided at Daytona on Sunday. It was a dramatic finale – the race winner going through to the playoffs and a former champion being dumped out of the final sixteen. You can watch extended highlights on the Nascar YouTube channel.
- Belgian Grand Prix There was another classic drive through the field on Sunday to more or less wrap up the 2022 Formula One championship. Perhaps F1 needs a Nascar-style playoff format? Or maybe not… Highlights of the race at Spa are on the F1 YouTube channel.
- ERC Barum Czech Rally Zlín Championships were decided in the European Rally Championship this weekend, including titles for two women co-drivers. You can catch up with all the action from the Czech Rally on the ERC website.
- BTCC at Thruxton The British Touring Car Championship visited the UK’s fastest racing circuit at the weekend for three races that sets things up perfectly for the final two rounds at Silverstone at Brands Hatch. Reports are on the BTCC website, with highlights to be shown next weekend on ITV4.
- ELMS Barcelona 4 Hours The fourth race of the 2022 European Le Mans Series took place in Barcelona on Sunday. You can watch the highlights on the ELMS YouTube channel.