Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Britten build

Hi all,

I'm waiting on a few things to start my next car build so I'm giving something a little different a go.

One of the most iconic bike builders in my life time is the late John Britten from my home town Christchurch NZ.
If you've never seen it or heard of it, the thing is a piece of genius created from the man's very own hand, look his story up.
So sad the dreaded C took him way too early.

I have collected a few Moto GP bikes from ebay that have damage and using the frame, wheels and cutting up the fairings to then shape with milliput.
The bike is very unusual and I'm going to do my best to make it look right with the shape of the chassis etc completely different to the GP bikes.
I have a diecast model of it which got damaged years ago (I will fix it) they only sold a limited run of these so I'm stoked I have one.
Here's all the donner parts.

I cut the fairings up but made sure I kept the mounting screw holes in tact otherwise I have no way of fitting to the chassis, moulding the milliput to the shapes I'll need has been a challenge and there's still a lot to of sanding and shaping to do.

The seat part of the body work is a beautiful shape and this was enjoyable trying to get right.

The forks are a very different set up to your conventional front end which is another awesome feature of this bike, I've sculpted the shape to what I think is ok.
There is a pink mudguard which I will make from balsa that also goes on the forks.

Here's the last pics from yesterday, I've since added some more shape to the side of the tank so it flows more correctly to the fairing, the tank section and fairing isn't all one piece in real life, he just made the diecast like that as it was easier.
But I have to make the fairing separate to the tank because of fixing points.
I've also shaped the back mudguard, removed the large piece of excess since these pics.

I know not many people like the motor bikes that were made for scalextric but I really enjoy them so i hope you don't mind me posting this little build.

Cheers
[+] 7 members Like Tibbs's post

(14th-Mar-22, 08:52 PM)Tibbs Wrote:  I know not many people like the motor bikes that were made for scalextric but I really enjoy them so i hope you don't mind me posting this little build.

Cheers

Hey, it's "slotracer", not "slot car racer" and a bike is not the weirdest thing to ever grace a slot track Talking
Going to follow this thread with interest
AlanW
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Its always nice to see something different. I have never heard of John Britten and his motor-cycle, so intrigued by this.

Leo

Edit:- Clicking the photographs gets the proper orientation, so no worries there.

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

(14th-Mar-22, 10:51 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Its always nice to see something different. I have never heard of John Britten and his motor-cycle, so intrigued by this.

Leo

Edit:- Clicking the photographs gets the proper orientation, so no worries there.

Look him up Leo, truly was a clever man.
They took his bike to Daytona and it kicked butt.
[+] 1 member Likes Tibbs's post

(14th-Mar-22, 10:02 PM)Nonfractal Wrote:  
(14th-Mar-22, 08:52 PM)Tibbs Wrote:  I know not many people like the motor bikes that were made for scalextric but I really enjoy them so i hope you don't mind me posting this little build.

Cheers

Hey, it's "slotracer", not "slot car racer" and a bike is not the weirdest thing to ever grace a slot track Talking
Going to follow this thread with interest
AlanW
Thanks Alan

It's a broad church here, and it's always good to see something a bit different. Thumbup 

Keep up the good work.
[+] 2 members Like JasonB's post

(15th-Mar-22, 12:07 AM)JasonB Wrote:  It's a broad church here, and it's always good  to see something a bit different. Thumbup 

Keep up the good work.

Cheers Jason
[+] 1 member Likes Tibbs's post

Loving it Sun
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post

awesome bike great guy 
have fun modeling this bike ... especially the exhaust system 
looking forward to more pics  Thumbup

kev
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post

(15th-Mar-22, 05:24 PM)OXO cube Wrote:  awesome bike great guy 
have fun modeling this bike ... especially the exhaust system