26th-Jun-21, 03:33 PM
(26th-Jun-21, 12:41 PM)Gordon Steadman Wrote: Nobody seems to want to report on the happenings at Bordo so here is my totally biased view on proceedings.
I'm an old man. The drive down I found very tiring and so I was not in the best of shape when I got to the club. Practice, as ever, was mainly to sort out which of the cars I took down to use in the racing. One of the major problems with the club premises is that the heat builds up very quickly with all the bodies about. Having to wear masks just added to the discomfort. Anthony very sensibly took a fan/cooling device down. Probably the only cool man in the room.
As ever, I chose the fastest cars rather than those that were likely to do well in the concours. It's always nice to win a cup but I'd rather forego that pleasure and win the races.
Short report, just on my races rather than overall...... I was in the last heat in each scale. Most people were doing 21 or 22 laps in each 3 minute section - this is in both scales, the 24ths were no quicker for some reason.
My first segment in 32nd...26 laps. After that, I just kept pace with the other car that was obviously quick, assuming that it would be enough to win overall. And it would have been!!! Then a 50 year old Tayormade pinion split and chewed up the contrate. No drive! As Don said, if it had happened a segment later, I would still have won just sitting out the last one. Somewhat frustrating to say the least.
24th scale. The car's body got clobbered on the warm up but still ran OK. It was running well but grip started disappearing. The motor was a Mabuchi 270S so having no grip wasn't much fun. Sideways up the straight if I put my thumb down. At the end, the tyres had a complete dip in the centre which was strange as there was no riding up the wheels and the tyres were flat across the inside. Strange but another disappointment after so much expectation. On my track, both cars were about equally fast.
The long and the short of it is that I got home feeling very negative about the whole thing and intend to take a break for a while. I have a huge amount of work to do on our new house so I reckon the next year will see me concentrate on that and I doubt that slot cars will get a look in. I'm not even thinking about a new track.
One other thing really started getting on my nerves. I appreciate that people like what I do, making cars out of wood or plasticard and usually, cars that are not available elsewhere. Several people have started nagging me and I do mean nagging, to make their favourite non available slot cars. It got ridiculous this time with one of the guys getting several others to try and influence me! I found this a pressure that I didn't need. I make cars for fun, for my own satisfaction. Making them for friends or teammates is fine but I have no interest otherwise. It's a sort of emotional blackmail the way it's done.
I will miss Confolens, partly because the naggers will be there too. I regret letting Don down as we have an established team but hopefully, Anthony will join him as discussed.
No doubt I will dip in occasionally but don't be too surprised if I don't post for a while.
Sorry to hear that Gordon. Hope your interest is rekindled after a break, as you'll be missed.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)