23rd-Mar-22, 01:56 AM
Tony and Jason,
I humbly thank you both.
It was fun to share these experiences with everyone.
An update to this thread. In an effort to save time and also be more accurate. I bought a vertical milling machine and digital readout accurate to =- 0.001" of an inch. These are too cheap today to ignore. It was around $650 USD. A basement machinists dream.
A milling machine meant I had the freedom to make side and cross cuts. The aluminum is typically 1.5mm thick. A pocket 1mm deep was milled out from both these chassis for an offset motor set up. I could not do that with a drill press.
Three racers in my club helped me to buy the equipment by purchasing more than 2-dozen aluminum chassis. I was able to buy tooling with the extra money. I can now make a very precise chassis in less than half the time.
Warm regards,
Ken
I humbly thank you both.
It was fun to share these experiences with everyone.
An update to this thread. In an effort to save time and also be more accurate. I bought a vertical milling machine and digital readout accurate to =- 0.001" of an inch. These are too cheap today to ignore. It was around $650 USD. A basement machinists dream.
A milling machine meant I had the freedom to make side and cross cuts. The aluminum is typically 1.5mm thick. A pocket 1mm deep was milled out from both these chassis for an offset motor set up. I could not do that with a drill press.
Three racers in my club helped me to buy the equipment by purchasing more than 2-dozen aluminum chassis. I was able to buy tooling with the extra money. I can now make a very precise chassis in less than half the time.
Warm regards,
Ken

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)