First of all we’d like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Whether you’re a member of the SlotRacer group, or follow our page on Facebook, or if you’ve visited our website and joined the forum, we’d like to say a big thank you to the whole community for your support.
Stay safe, and stay well, and let’s hope we can return to something approaching normality in the new year.
In the meantime, we have our usual mixture of news, views, videos, links, and interesting stuff to keep you entertained for a little while…
- Scalextric World Championship – The interesting story of the 2014 & 2015 Scalextric World Championships at Worthing HO Racing.
- Wye Valley Proxy Slot Rally 2020 – Official rally report to download and keep.
Tracks & Scenery
- Final batch of Tarn Models figures painted – Rallyhub gets the paints out, and future models are discussed.
- Magnetic Racing have put together a range of items to give your trackside buildings the finishing touches. Chairs, computers, telephones, desk lamps, sinks and toilets, with garage accessories coming soon.
- A stunning new track from Slot Mods featuring the client’s father’s and grandmother’s house, along with a replica of a Mobil gas station he worked at as a teenager.
- Gordini T24S, J.Behra, 1953 Carrera Panamericana – GMC SlotCars
- Scalextric ‘Only Fools And Horses’ Special Edition twinpack in stock – the most recognisable vehicle to ever grace the streets of Peckham, Del Boy’s yellow Reliant Regal, and his tastefully decorated Ford Capri Mk III.
- Scorpius Nano wireless digital car decoder – The smallest yet
Don’t forget, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself a gift, at Christmas, or any other time. Because… you’re worth it.
- Dents Lancaster driving gloves have long been a favourite with classic car owners in Britain and around the world. Even if you don’t own a classic car, you can still make out you’re Stirling Moss whilst bobbing down to the shops in your family hatchback.
- British Leyland T-Shirts by Roy McCarthy. There’s a joke in there somewhere about giving these BLTs to someone you don’t like, but I love them.
- World of Speed – A Collection of photographic prints by Johannes Huwe capturing images of the unique world of speed freaks in the Great Salt Lake Desert, in northern Utah, where all roads end.
- Racing Cuts – Smart, laser cut race track prints with a choice of accent colour.
- Arthur Schening – Historic Racing Car prints. Pin sharp graphic design, representing some truly classic, iconic, and historic racing cars.
We have a definite Italian design flavour to this week’s look at full sized metalwork in motion, or sculpture on wheels.
- 3 amazing Alfa Romeo BAT concept cars. There are few, if any, concept car series as famous as the Alfa Romeo BAT trifecta – three one-off cars penned by the legendary Franco Scaglione and built by Carrozzeria Bertone between 1953 and 1955.
- There was also a modern interpretation built in 2008 – Modern BAT 11
- Franco Scaglione – posthumously described as the unsung master of aerodynamic design
- Bertone, the Italian coachbuilder who have styled cars for Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Iso Rivolta, Lancia, Lamborghini, Volvo and many others.
- Lamborghini Miura P400 SV – The Godfather of all modern supercars
- Marcello Gandini, designer of the Lamborghini Muira and Countach, Lancia Stratos, Alfa Romeo Montreal, and many, many more.
- Turning the road into a rally stage with a Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione in California. It’s not often that one gets the chance to spend a week driving a Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, let alone in a country they were never sold in.
Dave Kennedy keeps us up to date on the slot car news from North America.
Sponsored by LEB Hobbies
Maintenance & Tuning
Two great resources to help you really enjoy your slot cars, and track. A must read for anybody who is getting into the hobby for the first time, and essential for anyone returning to the hobby after a break. This is the lowdown on the showdown for that slot car set you found under the Christmas tree, or for that set you put there yourself pretending that you bought it for the children.
Don’t worry, we’ve all been there, but now you’ll need to learn a few basic things to keep it operational, make it all work better, and look like the best Dad in the world. It’s not rocket science or brain surgery, it’s all tried and trusted, and it doesn’t require expensive tools. All you have to do is read……
- The SlotRacer’s Manual is our attempt to guide you through all the steps you’ll need to get your cars running smoother and faster, your track working perfectly, and your trackside scenery looking fantastic . In bite sized chunks, and simple language, we’ll show you how to maintain and tune your cars, how to design and make your track, and how to create realistic scenery, without spending a fortune.
- How to Slot – Jadlam Scalextric guides by our very own Andy Player