Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slot.it Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 - KCMG Fuji 2018

Slot.it CA49b Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 - KCMG #18 - Winner Fuji 2018 - Yukinori Taniguchi & Alexandre Imperatori. RRP £64.95. Available now

Slot.it have given us some wonderful glimpses on their Facbook page of their KCMG-liveried Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 - to whet our appetites before a full studio photoshoot and the imminent arrival of the model. This is the second livery on the 2018-spec Nissan, following the Team RJN Spa 24 hour car which was previewed on SlotRacer here.

These pictures are perfect timing for this weekend's Bathurst 12 Hours, where the KCMG car starred in 2019 - eventually finishing seventh, but a contender for the win throughout the race. However, this livery is from 2018, when KCMG ran a full season in the Blancpain GT Series Asia, the Hong Kong-based team's first campaign with Nissan.

KCMG - or KC Motorgroup - first caught my eye at Le Mans, running LMP2 Morgans and Orecas, winning the class in 2015. Founded in 2007 by former racing driver Paul Ip, the team struck me as a group of enthusiasts who had a lot of fun - racing in various series around the world and having their sights set on the big events. They were serious too - achieving impressive results, bringing on young drivers and were one of the first privateer teams to have a polished social media presence and fans around the globe. Scalextric recreated their 2016 Le Mans GTE Am Porsche 911 RSR as a set-only car in the 2018 ARC Pro Platinum set - KCMG had really arrived!

The two Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 Blancpain entries raced in Thailand, Malaysia, Japan and China, with a mid-season non-championship race in Macau too. Long-standing KCMG driver Alex Imperatori - Swiss, but resident in the Far East - teamed up with Japanese amateur racer and former-wrestler Yuke Taniguchi for the first Japanese double-header at Suzuka, where they had sixth and fourteenth place finishes. The two KCMG cars had scored strongly in the first six rounds, but it was at Fuji they had their best weekend of the year...

The #23 car of Edoardo Liberati and Florian Strauss took Nissan's first Blancpain pole and Liberati led the opening stages of the race...

A great opening stint for the amateur Taniguchi in the #18 saw him move from sixth on the grid to third place against professional drivers. Success penalties at the pit stop for the leading two cars put Imperatori in a perfect position to take the lead and pull away, setting the fastest lap of the race. The #23 KCMG Nissan finished third, making it a double podium for the Hong Kong team.

After the race, Yuke Taniguchi said: “I passed three pros at the start but thought they would be right behind me pretty soon so just focused on my own pace and race. But I felt pretty comfortable staying ahead of them for most of the stint and I really enjoyed it! I’ve done a lot of laps around Fuji and was here very recently for an endurance race so know the circuit well. I guess that helped today!”

The 2018 Blancpain series in their home region proved a perfect springboard to take the pair of Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3s to some of the most important GT3 races in 2019 - Bathurst, Spa and the Nürburgring being just some of the highlights. One of the cars usually featured Imperatori and Liberati in the driver line-up, with Oliver Jarvis joining them at the Spa 24 hours and for Bathurst. Switching to the Porsche 911 GT3R for 2020, the team continue to run near the front at the headline international GT3 events. And who knows, Scalextric might release another KCMG Porsche - the chrome and blue from 2021 would certainly be a stunning choice. I wouldn't turn my nose up at another KCMG Nissan either...

The Slot.it KCMG Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 has arrived with the UK distributor and should be with retailers very soon. I hope to have more images from Slot.it next week, but here's an earlier prototype for starters...

[+] 4 members Like woodcote's post

Wow - thanks for the info and link!!  Mine has arrived and is out of the box for inspection - but need to take out the mag and get better tires on it before it runs.  Despite being very light, I think the GT350's are a little 'top heavy' and I will add some lead in a similar fashion (but not identical) on the chassis as I did to the NISMO car ---  Can't wait!!!
[+] 2 members Like Alcopa's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
21st-Aug-20, 11:04 AM