Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rally-Sprint Proxy Event Jan-Feb 2021 - Info & Sign-up

At the end of January and through February, we'll be expanding our socially-distant mail-in proxy racing to a 1:32 scale format - the WHO Racing Winter Rally-Sprint 2021. We're publishing the guide now to give you some time to source and build some cars. Entries will need to arrive in Brighton by the end of Monday 18 January.

What is a Rally-Sprint? Although not a full-blown Slot Rally - our club doesn't have the experience or slot rally heritage for this yet - the event will take place over twelve ‘special stages’ at different club members’ homes. Most stages will be on standard ‘tarmac’ slot car track - Scalextric Sport, Scalextric/SCX Classic and Ninco - but there will also be a taste of some off-road track and a small winter-themed routed ‘super-special’ stage. Cars are run one at a time and timed over a set number of laps. Each car’s final result is its total time to complete all the stages.

What cars will be used? There are two basic ‘production’ car classes, one based on the ‘old’ Scalextric 1997-2007 ‘modern’ World Rally Cars, the other on the recent Scalextric DPR ‘Group B’ rally and rally cross cars. Build regulations for these two classes are on page 4 of the pdf guide attached below - the style will be familiar to WHO/digital racers. The third class uses nationally-agreed Slot Rally regulations used at UK Slot Rally events - Classic, Eighties and Modern cars will run together at our event. These regulations can be found on page 5 of the pdf document. Thanks to Phil Field, Phil Barry & Michael Maloney for use of these rules. Cars from all the classes are eligible for an overall event win and each class will also have its own winner.

How does the proxy format work? Cars are sent to the start venue, are raced, packed up and transported to the next venue. They visit each of the other venues over a period of six weeks, before finally ending up at the original venue to be returned to their owners. Results are published here at SlotRacer Online after each stage. There will also be photographs, a brief report - and maybe some video - from every venue. There will be goodies for all competitors and prizes for the winner and class winners. A commemorative ‘fanzine’ will be produced with full results, reports, photographs and articles.

How do I enter the rally-sprint? Send me (woodcote) a personal message here on SlotRacer Online with your email address - or email whoracing [at] hotmail.co.uk. We'll then send you a pdf entry form to fill in and return. Confirmed entries are listed below.

Rally-Sprint Practicalities:

●    One car per class can be entered by each competitor. Family members are very welcome.
●    All cars must arrive at the start venue no later than 18 January 2021.
●    Postage and return postage are the responsibility of the competitor. There are no extra fees.
●    Cars should be packed in a box that will fit in a parcel box - maximum 44 x 35 x 16 cm.

This socially-distant event is designed so that everyone can participate with no risk - even those who are clinically extremely vulnerable to Covid-19.

Covid-safe postage. For the entrants, postage can be paid for online (here) and parcels of a suitable size posted in a parcel box (see list here) or be collected from your home by the Royal Mail (here) or any number of courier services. There is no need to go anywhere near a post office - or even leave your home.

Here's version 1.0 of the guide to the WHO Racing Winter Rally-Sprint 2021...

.pdf WHO Rally-Sprint Proxy Jan-Feb 2021 v1.0.pdf Size: 1.66 MB  Downloads: 7,211

WHO Racing Winter Rally-Sprint 2021 Confirmed Entry List

Class A - Scalextric pre-DPR WRC: Graham, Rebecca, Andy, Jeremy, Clive, Mike S, Paul C, Simon, Oli,

Class B - Scalextric DPR Group B: Graham, Andy, Clive, Leo, Paul C, Oli,

Class C - UK Slot Rally (Classic, 80s & Modern): Graham, Rebecca, Andy, Jeremy, Clive, Alan W, Pete, Craig, Steve J, Leo, Mike S, Paul C, Alan B, Sebastian B, Phil F, Kev, Simon, Oli, Ade C,

Entry forms also sent to: Stephen M, Doug, Simon K, Andy D

WHO Racing Winter Rally-Sprint 2021 Stage Names & Details
SS1: Brighton Pavilion Ice Rink 1 - routed foamboard. Brighton (Andy) **stage cancelled - event will start with SS2**
SS2: Falmer Rallycross 1 - Ninco + Ninco off-road. Brighton (Andy)
SS3: Martyrs' Mile - Scalextric Sport + Classic. Goring-by-Sea (Simon)
SS4: Jupp's Cup - Scalextric Sport + Classic. Goring-by-Sea (Simon)
SS5: SouthDowns Hill Climb 1 - Scalextric Sport. Barnham (Oli)
SS6: SouthDowns Hill Climb 2 - Scalextric Sport. Barnham (Oli)
SS7: Martlets Rally Stage 1 - Scalextric Sport. Worthing (Jean)
SS8: Martlets Rally Stage 2 - Scalextric Sport. Worthing (Jean)
SS9: Saddlescombe to Devil's Dyke 1 - SCX Classic. Brighton (Andy)
SS10: Saddlescombe to Devil's Dyke 2 - SCX Classic. Brighton (Andy)
SS11: Falmer Rallycross 2 - Ninco + Ninco off-road. Brighton (Andy)
SS12: Brighton Pavilion Ice Rink 2 - routed foamboard. Brighton (Andy)
[+] 5 members Like woodcote's post

Very interesting news Andy :-)
Is the event open to non-club members, or will I have to join?

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Leo - following your drag racing exploits over the summer, you are definitely an honorary WHO member!

Although aimed at entertaining WHO racers, we’d be absolutely delighted to welcome non-members to join in the rally-sprint fun.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Cheers Andy, I admit that at one point I wondered if I had gate-crashed your private club event Rofl
Thank you for including me.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Although the focus is on HO drag racing this week, planning for the rally-sprint continues. The first four special stages have been confirmed (see post #1), with a long 15 mile road section between SS2 "Falmer Rallycross" and SS3 "Martyrs' Mile". These four stages are scheduled for the final two weeks of January.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

SS5 and SS6 will be run on the SouthDowns Hill Climb - a Scalextric Sport layout built on top of the SouthDowns Slot Car Club BSCRA track. Oli has been busy planning and the hill climb utilises a nice bit of elevation. The stages will be run by Oli and Stephen and we're hoping for a few entries from SouthDowns racers.

Speaking of entries... There is now a pdf entry form being tested and should be ready to go in the next day or two. If you are interested in taking part, please PM me here with your email address or email whoracing [at] hotmail.co.uk and I'll send you a copy of the form.

Entries from beyond WHO club regulars are very welcome!

Don't forget the full details of the event and regulations for the three classes are in the opening post above Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

Andy,
I'd like an entry form please. 
Never entered a proxy before but changing times presents new challenges.
A bigger challenge because I don't do the "home track" thing and all of the clubs are closed so the car will have had no track testing or tuning.

My entry will be a Megane N4 based on a ninco pro body and slot.IT HRS2 chassis.
Scaleauto inline long can, zmachine lightset.
Uk rally - modern class.

https://images.app.goo.gl/wha8cbamsCMy8r1N6

My email ID is my forum name  @hotmail.com 

Alan W (nascotwood watford)
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Thanks Alan - entry form sent. That sounds a cracking car!

The composition of the Rally-Sprint has been firmed up and we have this provisional route:
  • SS1: Brighton Pavilion Ice Rink 1 - routed foamboard. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
  • SS2: Falmer Rallycross 1 - Ninco + Ninco off-road. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
  • SS3: Martyrs' Mile - Scalextric Sport + Classic. Goring-by-Sea (Simon & Duncan)
  • SS4: Jupp's Cup - Scalextric Sport + Classic. Goring-by-Sea (Simon & Duncan)
  • SS5: SouthDowns Hill Climb 1 - Scalextric Sport. Barnham (Oli & Stephen)
  • SS6: SouthDowns Hill Climb 2 - Scalextric Sport. Barnham (Oli & Stephen)
  • SS7: Martlets Rally Stage 1 - Scalextric Sport. Worthing (Jean & Mike)
  • SS8: Martlets Rally Stage 2 - Scalextric Sport. Worthing (Jean & Mike)
  • SS9: Saddlescombe to Devil's Dyke 1 - SCX Classic. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
  • SS10: Saddlescombe to Devil's Dyke 2 - SCX Classic. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
  • SS11: Falmer Rallycross 2 - Ninco + Ninco off-road. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
  • SS12: Brighton Pavilion Ice Rink 2 - routed foamboard. Brighton (Andy & Rebecca)
The two Martlets stages may be shuffled up or down - depending on confirmation of road closures (i.e. Jean's partner's rota for February...). We'll know at the beginning of January. And - of course - the situation with the pandemic may cause delays or changes to the schedule. At the moment, Worthing has some of the lowest case numbers in the UK, but that pesky new strain is sweeping rapidly west across Sussex from Kent.

Expect regular updates from rally HQ over the next few weeks.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

Hi Andy,

Alan Birchmore and myself would like an entry please. 

There may be some more Wye valley entries. 

Will PM you. 

Cheers
Phil Field.
[+] 1 member Likes Hotlap's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post