Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Hot Rods Slot car proxy ?
#1

I quite like to throw out the odd ideas for proxy subjects, so hear goes.
Folks of a certain age will remember the old American Vintage Slot car kits in the 60's (mostly 24th scale I think) when Hot Rods were quite a popular theme. I have seen on the HRW Forum build section this theme raised again as a point of interest by a 3d body printer 3a3dSlotcars.com for 3d printed 32nd scale kits. And also recently seen a supplier of a couple of  32nd scale 3d Hot Rod kits in the UK.

It seems to me that now that Slot car builders increasingly have 3d printers in the house, is there scope in running a competition for these colourful vehicles ??

Could we field a race of Vintage & Modern Hot Rods ?

Could we combine Hot Rods with other Oval Racing cars to have a multi Event proxy for example:
Vintage Hotrods /Modern HotRods
Early Nascars/ Modern Nascars
Pioneer Legends

Probably somewhat of a crazy notion I know, but is there anyone else out there who would like this kind of event and be interested enough to enter ?
[+] 2 members Like Graham's post
Quote
#2

The used market is also littered with Life-Like and Lindberg potential hot rod kits. Too many too choose from. Cheap, cheap. Here's just one of them.

   
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post
Quote
#3

I love the 'modifieds' with wheel arches cut out and wheels sticking outside the bodywork, engines and exhausts on view...

How about classic and modern 'modifieds'...

I don't have anything built but there's plenty of time...

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#4

(6 hours ago)Kevan Wrote:  I love the 'modifieds' with wheel arches cut out and wheels sticking outside the bodywork, engines and exhausts on view...

How about classic and modern 'modifieds'...

I don't have anything built but there's plenty of time...

I overheard your evil twin brother of the same name might have some Lindberg kits?

Here's what I did with the 32 Ford. I skipped the fenders. Could have installed headers if I wanted.

   
   
[+] 3 members Like KensRedZed's post
Quote
#5

Yes my mind did immediately jump to that, 1940 Ford Convertible... now with an excuse to move it nearer the design/build queue  Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 2 members Like Kevan's post
Quote
#6

Once you ditch the fenders, you can max the track width to the legal limit of the class.  Wrench
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post
Quote
#7

I've just realised that Graham might have been referring to oval racing Hot Rods rather than street hot rods

   

   

...and I'm definitely interested as it's something I wanted to get started at our club 9 months ago

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#8

It could be both…as I was referring to Vintage & Modern Hot Rods.

At the moment just wanting to guage the interest that there might be, in what would be a modelling type focus theme.
[+] 2 members Like Graham's post
Quote
#9

Sounds good to me Thumbup
As Kevan says, plenty of time to get something built. Only thing is, they would be a bit delicate.....
Quote
#10

A couple of additional thoughts
I would imagine that this would be a Max 18k rpm motor type event, perhaps with control  tyres.

I think there would points allocated for both Race result and for presentation ( appearance). I already take part in Open Events in the UK which allocate 50% of the final points to the Concorse. So that might encourage some inventive designs / decorations rather than just fast cars.
[+] 1 member Likes Graham's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
5th-Sep-26, 02:06 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)