Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Dakar Rally Raid
#21

So came across this sub-genre in my cross-channel meandering, and it almost ticks all the thread boxes...

Raid theme.../
Dakar based.../
Accurate 1:43 scale vehicles.../
Competition.../
Detailed scenery.../
Slot...err, nope.

   
   
   
   
   
   

So...only the French could invent a sport that combines slot cars, croquet and boules. As far as I can tell, you flick the wooden ball and where is stops is where you place your vehicle! You take turns and the first one through the finishing gate wins.

This event was held on the beach in Calais, which is just a short hop under La Marche for me...I'm sorely tempted to enter the next one!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 3 members Like BAracer's post
Quote
#22

Err, 'sport'?

Looks like something we'd play as kids.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#23

And we think us Slot car racers are slightly crazy!   Bigsmile

Thats brilliant Jeremy  Yes
[+] 1 member Likes Gpa113's post
Quote
#24

what of scale is banana for a race, who can it say? funny to buy a fruit for a slot.
[+] 1 member Likes Ho Lee Kow's post
Quote
#25

For reference, here are the tracks from the Worthing Dakar Rally-Raid Fun Night on 26/08/26

Under the Bridge - SCX
   

The Dune of Doom - Ninco
   

Midnight at the Oasis - SCX
   

Mercredi à Bamako - Ninco
   

The all important scenery...
   
   

And how I made the dune supports...
     
   

I love puttering with gears
[+] 5 members Like BAracer's post
Quote
#26

Thumbup
Those Dune supports are clever......
[+] 2 members Like Gpa113's post
Quote
#27

They work both visually and structurally.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote
#28

Next level track pieces...

Made myself a prototype/proof of concept piece of 'obstacle track' like I had seen at FDD4. This would replace the jump piece in 'Under the Bridge' in order to make the circuit Ninco-friendly.

   

It worked okish in this modified layout (which included one of the club's Johnny's Workshop dead-strip timers), but some of the 'logs' were just too large for the Ninco drop arm length. 

   

So, back to the drawing board garden to prune the hazel tree again, but choosing thinner branches. Might also try and paint the track piece first. 

But basically, it's free Raid obstacles from the garden rather than expensive ones from Spain!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 4 members Like BAracer's post
Quote
#29

Rofl
Love it! 
Great idea.  Looking forward to Version 2/smaller branches....
[+] 2 members Like Gpa113's post
Quote
#30

It worked really well with the more capable cars  Sun

   

For the Ninco cars, it was only a matter of a millimetre or two, especially on the the first log or two.

I have a few ideas for DIY rough(er) terrain for my Ninco track, inspired by this prototype and the FDD tracks in France.

It would certainly add something to this living room floor track...

   
[+] 4 members Like woodcote's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
14th-Feb-26, 06:25 PM
Last Post by Kevan
15th-May-24, 05:04 PM
Last Post by BAracer
28th-Aug-22, 06:50 PM
Last Post by KensRedZed
7th-Mar-21, 12:35 PM
Last Post by rallyhub
22nd-Apr-19, 02:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)