Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Summer Grand Prix Proxy
#21

If SirChrisGuyW (My IPad types his name when I enter the letter S) decides to participate in this proxy then I must build a car to measure how much my building skills must improve in comparison. I will watch the board and assume I need car from 1961-1968.  We will all be fighting for 2nd place as we will watch and learn.
Quote
#22

(26th-Apr-22, 10:50 PM)chrisguyw Wrote:  Hello Graham,...thanks for your reply on the eligibility of the "vintage" shells,.......most of my 60's GP cars do use these bodies.

I do have a technical question............in the rules it states that cars using a Scaley/etc. FF050 motor must use a 9T x 24T gear set (vs the standard 9T x 27T) to provide "more controlled braking".........the switch to 9T x 24T, will provide noticeably  less braking.......is this what is meant by "more controlled braking" ??

Cheers
Chris Walker

Hi Chris,
"yes, I think that is so".  Without getting too technical (as I am on slippery slope here) The issue with the current standard FF050 motor fitted on Scalextric cars is that they appear to rely on the powerful Traction magnets fitted into the chassis to act as braking. So when you remove the magnets the car becomes very difficult to control or to slow the car down. So it appears that there is a low Torque effect by the motor magnets. Changing the crown gear to one of fewer teeth has the effect of countering the motor poor braking performance.
I tried this myself on my home track and was really surprised how much better a Scalextric F1 car fitted with a FF050 ran when you changed the gearing (without the track magnets fitted). And the track speed compared to running with the original gearing was considerably faster.

Other similar RPM Slimline motors (from North America) like the Minnow, Predator, and the SRP (MRRC) motors appear to be made with sufficient Torque that they run well without traction magnets fitted to the car. I have bought a couple of each, but yet to get round to testing them. Unfortunately there appears to be a shortage of such good Slimline motors in the UK.
Quote
#23

(27th-Apr-22, 08:39 AM)Graham Wrote:  Hi Chris,
 Changing the crown gear to one of fewer teeth has the effect of countering the motor poor braking performance.
Hello Graham, reducing the number of teeth on a Crown/Contrate for a given pinion tooth count, reduces the braking effect.........so a gear set of 9T x 24T,.....has less braking than a 9T x 27T set. So if you are looking to improve the braking on any FF-050 (or for any slot car motor), adding teeth to the Contrate/Spur (increasing the numeric ratio) is the direction in which to go.
Cheers
Chris Walker
Quote
#24

100% agree with Chris, if you want more brakes you have to increase the gear ratio not decrease it, you'll lose a little top end but acceleration and brakes will be better with more teeth on the crown with the same pinion.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#25

Wavegreen Good afternoon,
 there has been some questions raised about the issue of what gearing should be used to best overcoming the problems associated with poor handling of Scalextric FF050 motors when fitted in cars without Traction magnets..


So I have decided to drop this reference to the Scalextric motor requirement for gearing, and it it will be up to the individual choice as to if they choose to use the original Scalextric Slimline motor if fitted in a car and gearing or replace it with something else more effective, like an alternative motor or gearing.
MY BEST ADVICE WOULD BE PROBABLY BE TO ENTER CARS WITHOUT NEEDING TO USE SCALEXTRIC SLIMLINE MOTORS  Sun

I have attached the revised rules.

.pdf Triple Crown Grand Prix Technical Rules v4.pdf Size: 53.44 KB  Downloads: 206
[+] 1 member Likes Graham's post
Quote
#26

The Scaley green slimlines are pretty good if you can find one.

[edit] I think it may be over 20k so not eligible

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#27

(27th-Apr-22, 03:11 PM)Kevan Wrote:  The Scaley green slimlines are pretty good if you can find one.

[edit] I think it may be over 20k so not eligible

Seen a "Green" Slimline Scalextric motor advertised as 25k rpm, so it would not be permitted in this proxy.
Quote
#28

Hi Graham, is a proslot Ferrari F1 eligible? Obviously assuming it meets all the other rules about motor, wheels etc etc

Edit to say the modern ones in the post 1990 class.
Quote
#29

(29th-Apr-22, 10:21 AM)tatter06 Wrote:  Hi Graham, is a proslot Ferrari F1 eligible? Obviously assuming it meets all the other rules about motor, wheels etc etc

Edit to say the modern ones in the post 1990 class.

To be honest I did not know that Proslot made any F1 cars, so I had to look it up. But I cannot think of any reason to exclude it as it looks fairly standard construction.
So yes you can use this one.
Quote
#30

Cool, yeah just checking it wouldnt be classed as a 'pro' level car like nsr, policar etc but they aren't generic and more like ninco in construction anyway.
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
5th-Sep-26, 02:06 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)