Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

My 60's Nascar's build
#11

Bodies "klear" coated this morning, so back to the mancave to get the chassis built.
As my home track longest straight is approx. 12ft max, and because I know these cars will be heavy boats, I have geared them fairly short as they don't need top end but will be needing brakes !
As I used a pair of offset gears from my spares box, I am unsure if they are 23 or 23 (24 I think) and I have used an 8 pinion to give me either 2.85-1 or 3-1 final ratio.
I haven't weighed the complete bodies, but I suspect from the parts I have, I will be looking at between 34-38g much heavier than my usual fare.
So I have added another 12g to the already heavier than injection plastic chassis, giving my rolling chassis around a 78g weight total, with approx. 33g sitting on the guide and 45 on the rear wheels. I have no idea how to convert that to a weight distribution percentage, but it will do to start  Rofl 

So pics of the rolling chassis, showing around 2mm ground clearance, about as high as I want to take that, and as the body sills sit higher than the chassis base, it should get to look close to the stock period ride height using spacer(s) on the body posts.
I am also fairly pleased with look of the inserts.

   

   
Quote
#12

Hi Tel they look great chassis and the wheels really stand out 

Steve
Quote
#13

All done..
Despite the imperfections in the paint, I think they turned out OK, just don't look too hard  Sweating
I used some Humbrol satin varnish to dial down the chrome.

For anyone wishing to use the cars bodyposts, the holes are larger than a lot of newer stuff. Sloting Plus do some half threaded screws for Carrera cars which are just perfect for these.

Talking of Carrera … these ended up in their ballpark weight wise, coming in at just under a hefty 120g each complete.
I had already added 12g in the chassis below the axle lines to compensate for the ~39g body weight.

But these do have some brakes thanks to the short gearing and the flat 6 torque.

Now 60's era NASCARs can thunder around Roughwood  Rofl

   

   

   

   

   

   

   

   
[+] 3 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote
#14

Nice work Tel, look forward to playing with them when we return to 'precedented' times. Should be fun trying to negotiate the hairpin side by side.
Quote
#15

They look great Tel , ride height just about perfect  ,as Brian says racing them will be a hoot . Sun

Steve
Quote
#16

Cheers Guys.
Yes can't wait until we all can get together for some racing, bacon butties and cake  Bigsmile 
I think I need some more drawers, or at least a re-arrangement, my home racing pairs are getting more than one deep in the drawer now !
Quote
#17

I don't do pairs ,have enough trouble getting one to work  Wrench

Steve
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tibbs
8th-Jan-23, 03:09 PM
Last Post by Tibbs
23rd-May-22, 09:04 PM
Last Post by Nico
3rd-Dec-21, 04:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)