Our weekly round up of all the news and views from the world of slot cars, motor sport and motoring
UK Slot Car Festival
- Top Down has been sharing some great photos from the UK Slot Car Festival at Gaydon…
- Gaydon 2022 – a glimpse behind the scenes
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt1 (3D Bond, Ferraris & Alpine track)
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt2 (‘Sales floor’, Drag strip & Daisy Duke)
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt3 (FLBT, 3DP & Minic)
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt4 (NSCC, Policar F1 Challenge and more.)
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt5 (Scalextric cars)
- Gaydon Pics 2022 Pt6 – last but not least
- Star of the show at Gaydon?
Best of British
- British Racing Greens On the subject of the Best of British, you may be interested in the story of the airfield circuits of Great Britain, and the massive effect they had on British motorsport. You’ve heard of Silverstone, Goodwood and Croft – but what about Silloth, Gamston & Carnaby?
- BTCC Track Plans We also have track plans for the circuits used in the British Touring Car Championship, and the BTCC plans are also available as downloadable posters in A4, A3, and even A2 sizes.
- Flat Over Crest You can’t possibly get anything more typically British than Rallyhub’s immaculately detailed Flat Over Crest rally stage, set in a small village, with it’s autumnal trees, and typical British village scenery. Best of all, it’s got Rallyhub’s Pub. What better place to settle down after a cold, wet, rainy day watching the rally?
- George Turner Models England’s finest model maker? Surely a national treasure? Those weren’t really meant as questions, because there is little doubt that George Turner is one of the finest and most prolific model makers in the world, and he now has a new online shop.
- Maxi Models Max Winter might sound like a shiveringly cold December in Britain, but actually he’s a very fine example of the small scale, creative entrepreneur that seems to make up part of Britain’s psyche. Our man Brian has dug out the whole story of these finely crafted and collectable models.
- Pendle Slot Racing There are lots of great slot car retailers in the UK, so perhaps it’s unfair of us to pick out just one. But it’s very difficult to beat Pendle Slot Racing’s vast range of stock and excellent customer service.
- NSCC History The National Scalextric Collectors Club (NSCC) is almost certainly the oldest such enthusiasts club in the world and, its magazine is the longest continuously running English language publication devoted purely to slot cars anywhere. We take an in depth look at the club’s history.
Tracks & Scenery
- Oil Drums Dylcom Models showed off their range of hand finished oil barrels at the UKSCF. Well every track needs an oil drum or two don’t they?
- Best British Cars The British car industry has had its highs and lows but what are the best cars ever built in Britain? Auto Express pick their top 50!
- British Motor Museum The British Motor Museum in Gaydon is obviously venue of the UK Slot Car Festival, but it’s also home to the world’s largest collection of historic British cars. So it’s worth a visit anytime.
- Goodwood Breakfast Club: Rule Britannia Sunday Over a thousand British cars and bikes from across the decades gathered at the Goodwood Motor Circuit on Sunday. And nearly eight thousands people came along to look at them and grab a Goodwood breakfast. You can see loads of pictures over on the Goodwood Road & Racing website
Arguably the biggest British race on the calendar takes place next weekend…
- SlotRacer Guide to Le Mans 2022 Woodcote summarises what’s on this week, how to watch it – and tells us who he’ll be cheering for. That’s the kiss of death for those four teams…
- Le Mans 24 Hour Website This is the central hub for entry lists, info, live timing and results.
- Autosport Le Mans News Regular stories during the week and hourly updates from the race itself – a perfect resource for the diehard Le Mans fan or the casual observer.
- Le Mans Track Plan If your weekend plans involve a slot car recreation, then we have a massive 33 metre replica of La Sarthe to keep you happy. No chicanes on the Mulsanne – but it’s definitely better that way!
- Racing at Le Mans in 1:32 scale SlotRacer Online members raced at the DiSCA oXigen Le Mans 24 Hours earlier this year. In a thread that chronicles the highs and lows of a 24 hour race, BARacer chronicles his team’s journey.
- Paul Ricard 1000kms There were a handful of GT drivers warming up for Le Mans in the south of France on Saturday. A fabulous race in its own right, keep an eye out for highlights of the 2022 1000kms of Paul Ricard on the GT World Challenge website.
- Rallye Italia Sardegna The WRC were in Italy this weekend for the fifth round of the 2022 championship. Could the Italian-based Hyundai WRC team find some form on home turf? You can find out on the WRC website.
- Classic Sports Car Club – Brands Hatch Finally for this week’s Digest, the Classic Sports Car Club were racing at Brands Hatch on Friday and Saturday. You can see plenty of of the fabulous cars over on the CSCC Facebook page.