It was certainly a perfect weekend for Ferrari fans – and it just gets better with more tasty morsels from Maranello in this week’s Digest…
- BRM R8 Gordini BRM have announced two new liveries of the BRM R8 Gordini, Escuderia Respol #1 which raced the Copa TS 1971 Rasilla, and a French tricolour version.
- Toyota 2000GT Pete Shepherd’s latest customer work is a fabulous Aoshima Toyota 2000GT static kit, converted to a slot car. The livery is fictional but based on the Carrol Shelby run SCCA cars from 1968.
- Fly BMW M3 E30 Rally Legend Boucles Bastogne 2019 Another of the 25th Aniversario models will be arriving with retailers in the next few days. A Gulf-liveried BMW M3 driven by Marc Duez should certainly be popular in Belgium. You can see more pictures and what the real car in action over in the Fly 2022 thread on the forum.
- Auto World Victory 400 Set Due in the autumn, this classic Nascar-themed release is the first of Auto World’s new range of 4-lane HO scale sets, complete with wireless hand controllers and variable power supply. Auto World have really upped the stakes in the 1:64 scene – as you can read over on the forum.
- New From TA71 Model Factory Coming Soon from Pendle Slot Racing are two TA71 3D printed 1/32 slot car kits. The Toyota GT2000 is exclusive to Pendles and the Mazda RX-Vision GT3 includes a replica Wankel rotary engine and stand for display.
- SCX Hyundai i20 Coupé WRC Here in the UK we’ve been waiting a long time for the new SCX Hyundai. Hub has got his hands on one – and it certainly looks the part on his Flat Over Crest slot rally stage. You can read Hub’s preview of the car over in the News section of the forum.
- Hobbyclassic Chenard & Walcker Targa Florio 1923 Produced for the slot car show at Vic, 50 units of this fabulous Chenard & Walcker 3-litre Sport are the latest creation of the hobbyclassic lab. If you’re lucky there might be a few available on their website today.
Tracks & Scenery
- Formula One 2018 Resource Back when we launched the SlotRacer Online nearly three years ago, Jason created an amazing resource of track plans, data and images from the 2018 F1 series. It’s worth a look every F1 weekend. And yes, a Ferrari won at Sakhir that year too.
- Revell Land Rover Daniel Chalker has shown some wonderful modelling skills on his 1/24 scale Revell Land Rover kit build. You’d have to look very carefully indeed to distinguish it from the real thing.
- 3DP Track Cleaner John has very kindly made available the files for this ingenious track cleaner. It recently saved a lot of human elbow grease resurrecting GT Raceway’s track in Essex. Looks like a must-have for any filthy home or club layout.
- 132 Models – a SlotRacer Trader Welcome to 132 Models who are adverting some great 1:32 scale figures in the SlotRacer Traders section. The extensive range of models come either unpainted or fully finished. Check out the thread for more details.
Slot Car Racing
- DiSCA Le Mans 2022 Coverage BARacer will be part of the Worthing Digital team at next month’s DiSCA Le Mans 24 Hour race. Using a Slot.it’s oXigen digital system, a field of twelve cars will tackle the huge sports hall size replica of La Sarthe at a new venue in Derby. You can follow the build-up to the race and look forward to regular ‘live’ bulletins over on the forum.
- Jaguar XJR-15 The XJR-15 was the ultimate Jaguar road and racing car – yet it wasn’t even built or developed by the manufacturer. The XJR-15 was celebrated at the 78th Goodwood Members’ Meeting with a demonstration for both road and racing cars. The car’s designer – Peter Stevens – talks through what made the XJR-15 so special.
- Ferrari 296 GT3 The first sketches of the Ferrari 296 GT3 have been released! The car has been officially confirmed as the next FIA-GT3 car for Ferrari’s Competitizioni GT programme. The 296 GT3 will drop the GTB’s hybrid component and retain a 6 cylinder engine.
- Ferrari 328 GTS in Switzerland There haven’t been enough Ferraris in The Digest so far this week… In this travelogue on the Petrolicious website, Nick Hendrix – accompanied by images by Michael Shelford – tells the story of their weekend driving this 328 GTS on a regularity rally in the Swiss Alps. It’s quite a trip.
- Bahrain Grand Prix 2022 The 2022 Formula One Season kicked off with an enthralling race at Sakir. The new rule set has certainly shaken up the field – and the top ten had an unfamiliar look. You can watch race highlights and catch up on all the action at Formula1.com.
- Twelve Hours of Sebring There were two big races at the Florida airport over the weekend, but the biggest was the Twelve Hours. Still part of the IMSA WeatherTech series, this classic race equals Daytona as the most important sportscar event in the Americas. You can catch up with all the IMSA action at Racer.com.
- 1000 Miles of Sebring Friday’s World Endurance Championship race was interrupted by storms, but that didn’t prevent a superb win for Alpine to start the 2022 WEC season. You can watch the race highlights and read a full report at Autosport.
- Equipe Classic Racing at Brands Hatch There were some fabulous cars and some superb racing at the first club event of the season at Brands Hatch on Saturday. Spring sunshine added to a perfect day for drivers, officials and spectators to get back in the swing of things at the Kent circuit. You can discover more about the Equipe Classic Racing series on their website.
- West Cork Rally 2022 Held on or around St Patrick’s Day since 1977, the West Cork Rally is Ireland’s premier Tarmac Rally. Run from the idyllic Clonakilty along the stunning Wild Atlantic Way, the event has become a core part of the Irish Tarmac Rally Championship and – until Covid – the British Rally Championship. Nonetheless, it still manages to retain its Clubman roots. You can catch up with the weekend’s action on the event Facebook page.
- Nascar at Atlanta Nascar fans enjoyed a thrilling finish to a dramatic race at the re-profiled Atlanta Motor Speedway on Sunday. You can watch some of the highlights on the official Nascar website.