Posts: 3,221
Threads: 85
Likes Received: 4,795 in 2,091 posts
Likes Given: 566
Joined: Nov 2020
Location Nottingham
I quite like to throw out the odd ideas for proxy subjects, so hear goes.
Folks of a certain age will remember the old American Vintage Slot car kits in the 60's (mostly 24th scale I think) when Hot Rods were quite a popular theme. I have seen on the HRW Forum build section this theme raised again as a point of interest by a 3d body printer 3a3dSlotcars.com for 3d printed 32nd scale kits. And also recently seen a supplier of a couple of 32nd scale 3d Hot Rod kits in the UK.
It seems to me that now that Slot car builders increasingly have 3d printers in the house, is there scope in running a competition for these colourful vehicles ??
Could we field a race of Vintage & Modern Hot Rods ?
Could we combine Hot Rods with other Oval Racing cars to have a multi Event proxy for example:
Vintage Hotrods /Modern HotRods
Early Nascars/ Modern Nascars
Pioneer Legends
Probably somewhat of a crazy notion I know, but is there anyone else out there who would like this kind of event and be interested enough to enter ?
(This post was last modified:
8 hours ago by
Graham.)
Posts: 2,060
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,416 in 1,393 posts
Likes Given: 3,128
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
The used market is also littered with Life-Like and Lindberg potential hot rod kits. Too many too choose from. Cheap, cheap. Here's just one of them.
(This post was last modified:
8 hours ago by
KensRedZed.)
Posts: 4,511
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,060 in 1,816 posts
Likes Given: 4,200
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I love the 'modifieds' with wheel arches cut out and wheels sticking outside the bodywork, engines and exhausts on view...
How about classic and modern 'modifieds'...
I don't have anything built but there's plenty of time...
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 2,060
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,416 in 1,393 posts
Likes Given: 3,128
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
(8 hours ago)Kevan Wrote: I love the 'modifieds' with wheel arches cut out and wheels sticking outside the bodywork, engines and exhausts on view...
How about classic and modern 'modifieds'...
I don't have anything built but there's plenty of time...
I overheard your evil twin brother of the same name might have some Lindberg kits?
Here's what I did with the 32 Ford. I skipped the fenders. Could have installed headers if I wanted.
Posts: 4,511
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,060 in 1,816 posts
Likes Given: 4,200
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Yes my mind did immediately jump to that, 1940 Ford Convertible... now with an excuse to move it nearer the design/build queue
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 2,060
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,416 in 1,393 posts
Likes Given: 3,128
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Once you ditch the fenders, you can max the track width to the legal limit of the class.
Posts: 4,511
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,060 in 1,816 posts
Likes Given: 4,200
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I've just realised that Graham might have been referring to oval racing Hot Rods rather than street hot rods
...and I'm definitely interested as it's something I wanted to get started at our club 9 months ago
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
(This post was last modified:
6 hours ago by
Kevan.)
Posts: 3,221
Threads: 85
Likes Received: 4,795 in 2,091 posts
Likes Given: 566
Joined: Nov 2020
Location Nottingham
It could be both…as I was referring to Vintage & Modern Hot Rods.
At the moment just wanting to guage the interest that there might be, in what would be a modelling type focus theme.
Posts: 528
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,645
Joined: Jun 2020
Sounds good to me
As Kevan says, plenty of time to get something built. Only thing is, they would be a bit delicate.....
•
Posts: 3,221
Threads: 85
Likes Received: 4,795 in 2,091 posts
Likes Given: 566
Joined: Nov 2020
Location Nottingham
A couple of additional thoughts
I would imagine that this would be a Max 18k rpm motor type event, perhaps with control tyres.
I think there would points allocated for both Race result and for presentation ( appearance). I already take part in Open Events in the UK which allocate 50% of the final points to the Concorse. So that might encourage some inventive designs / decorations rather than just fast cars.
(This post was last modified:
4 hours ago by
Graham.)