Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UK HO Drag Proxy Series 2021-22 - Race #5 January 2022

It's nearly time for the penultimate race of our 2021-22 UK HO Drag Proxy Series... All the dates, regulations and format are in the 'UK HO Drag Proxy Series 2021-22 Preview' thread here. The final event is the 2022 Spring Nationals on 12-13 March - and then I'm planning a regular annual calendar of four themed mid-week events, which I'll run by you soon...

The Track: The Rock County Eighth Mile is a seven-foot timed strip (1/8 mile in true HO scale) made from the new 2019 Micro Scalextric sectional track. Cars must be fitted with braids to run on this track. Power is set at 12 volts and 8 amps across the two lanes. Power to both lanes is triggered by a single switch firing a relay board. Timing is currently Trackmate Drag Basic, with Drag RC being prepared for introduction in 2022. After the finish line, there is a two-foot shutdown with dynamic braking and a well-padded catch box.

The Format: The weekday events see qualifying take place on the Tuesday and all the racing on the Wednesday afternoon and evening. The weekend 'nationals' in March have racing through both days, usually with the elimination rounds following on from qualifying for that class.

Sending cars: Aim for your cars to arrive in Brighton at least 72 hours before the first day of the event,  so they can be quarantined (if necessary) and then registered for qualifying. Please also pack in a small box (max height 7.5cm if possible) and pay for your postage online so no-one needs to go near a post office. These races are designed to be Covid-safe events that are accessible to everyone and can continue whatever restrictions might be in place. You may - of course - send cars for several races or the full duration of the series  - just let me know.

How to enter: Send me a private message or add a reply below. One car per class may be entered per person. Family members and friends are very welcome to enter too. I will message you with the address to send cars to. You will need to pay for return postage. Otherwise there is no race fee.

Overseas entrants must talk to me about customs forms on their parcels! The recipient (me) will normally be charged 20% of the stated value of the parcel, plus an £8 handling fee. As cars sent to these races are not commercial goods, I need to explain how to alert UK customs to this fact and avoid the fees.

Entries Race #15 - 18-19 January 2022

Micro Scalextric Street Stock: Ken, Iain, Kev, Rebecca, Andy, Bill, Jane, Jeremy, Pete, Jerome, Sue, Mary (12)

Micro Scalextric Super Stock 6.0: Iain, Kev, Andy Phi, Rebecca, Andy Pla, Bill, Jane, Jeremy, Pete (9)

Nostalgia T-Jet: Ken, Iain, Rebecca, Andy, Bill (5)

Nostalgia 4-Gear Funny Car: Ken, Iain, Rebecca, Andy, Bill, Kev, Jerome (7)

Nostalgia Micro Scalextric 2019 match-racing: Ken, Iain, Kev, Bill (4)

Nostalgia Magnatraction Pro Stock match-racing: Rebecca, Andy, Bill

Nostalgia Isolated Front Axle exhibitions: Ken,
[+] 5 members Like woodcote's post

Happy New Year folks!!!

Andy. Thank you very kindly!

Please put me down for:

MS Street stock
Nostalgia T-jet
Nostalgia 4-gear Funny Car
Nostalgia MS 2019 Match racing (new test car)

If you have time, please. Bill, Nico and I would like to try running old funny cars with isolated front axles for a match race. Stock wheels, magnets, 14-Ohm armatures, and braids. The usual pancake chassis rules.

Looking forward to race-day!

I hope everyone has fun and stays safe tonight!

Cheers,
Ken
[+] 3 members Like KensRedZed's post

Ken,

I am sorry, I am out as Austrian Customs charges me for my own cars returning back from the UK, which adds up to a total of 50+€ per race, just for postal fees and Customs.......

So I am very sorry, but I am out.........

Nico
[+] 1 member Likes nkarres's post

Hi Nico,

I am very sad to hear that.

Is there no one you can contact at the customs office about being charged for "returned goods"? Andy makes sure everyone writes "returned goods" on the way in, or we get charged on the way to the UK. But he had to look into it first to figure it all out.

You have some real nice race cars, Nico. Please try to find a way? Bug the crap out of customs until they tell you the right way to make it happen. The squeaky wheel gets all the attention for some reason.

Maybe there's a form that's missing?

Ken
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post

Happy New Year to past and present racers in this series. Hopefully we'll all be able to stay healthy.

Great news that that Andy is planning to continue the races for another year. Many thanks. 
Please enter me for all classes except the magnatraction match racing. I've only got a couple of these chassis and I just can't seem to get them to run fast.  Tappingfoot

Iain
[+] 2 members Like 935 fan's post

I've updated the entry list in post #1. Fingers-crossed Austrian customs treat parcels from the UK more gently at some point and Nico can rejoin the action. Or we'll need to find some way of posting them in France...

I heard from Clive yesterday and he's been pretty poorly over the new year (not Covid) and is currently separated from his slot car projects. He's confident of getting some cars to the races, but I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery and keep him in our thoughts.
[+] 3 members Like woodcote's post

I am still working on possible solutions, have to pass on the coming race but working hard to rejoin!!!!!!!!

Nico
[+] 3 members Like nkarres's post

posted mine today 
andy ... i went with the 5 entries after all  Thumbup
hope i did the braid soldering correctly 
also hoping they are class correct hehehehe

kev
[+] 3 members Like OXO cube's post

(31st-Dec-21, 03:03 PM)KensRedZed Wrote:  Happy New Year folks!!!

Andy. Thank you very kindly!

Please put me down for:

MS Street stock
Nostalgia T-jet
Nostalgia 4-gear Funny Car
Nostalgia MS 2019 Match racing (new test car)

If you have time, please. Bill, Nico and I would like to try running old funny cars with isolated front axles for a match race. Stock wheels, magnets, 14-Ohm armatures, and braids. The usual pancake chassis rules.

Looking forward to race-day!

I hope everyone has fun and stays safe tonight!

Cheers,
Ken
Looks like it’s gonna be a Can-Am match race.  Unless some of the Brits want to throw a divorced axle Afx funny car together, and join us?

Sure hope Clive’s health steadily improving!
[+] 4 members Like $Bill's post

Hi Bill,

When Ken and Nico first suggested this, I wanted to join in. However, I soon realised that I couldn't easily obtain one of these divorced
axle cars in the UK. Nico kindly sold me a similar non divorced axle AFX body from his stash, but I realised that I couldn't make it work with the 
chassis I have. Consequently I abandoned the project and concentrated my efforts on a new MS 2019 car which will debut in a couple of weeks.

If no others are able to join in, then may the best North American win!

Iain
[+] 3 members Like 935 fan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Graham
17th-Aug-22, 08:47 AM
Last Post by tatter06
9th-Aug-22, 09:27 PM
Last Post by OXO cube
7th-Aug-22, 09:53 PM