Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PP inline competition chassis

I have one of these chassis. I bought it out of interest and have built it up. There have been a couple of motor changes from wild to mild.
Wheel changes too from wide to narrow but there is a question I have that puzzles me.

Why are the body mounting holes on the central chassis piece when the outer pans are hinged? this is a plumber design ie the outer pans are hinged from the front. To me the body should be mounted to the pans so I did that.

I made some changes as I built mine....front axle tube, central cross brace, pans drilled and counter punched/sunk, all joins soldered.

Another issue I faced was if the body was mounted at a scale height the chassis sides would be visible (I dont like that) so it had to be low.

[Image: CD56-A39-A-B5-ED-4-D99-9-C92-93-F5363-D9-E94.jpg]
[Image: CEDDB39-B-354-C-4-B76-8-EDF-8-ED256-C5-E2-DE.jpg]
[Image: 1-EE6-E91-D-45-A9-4-AC0-BF32-365372-FE11-A1.jpg]
[Image: 1-F40-BBC2-373-F-4-B9-F-8105-032-D4-B47-D61-B.jpg]
[Image: 1-FE3-D63-E-6-DF6-413-C-B84-F-28-EBA9390-BBC.jpg]
[+] 1 member Likes munter's post

(18th-May-20, 09:17 PM)munter Wrote:  Another issue I faced was if the body was mounted at a scale height the chassis sides would be visible (I dont like that) so it had to be low.

[Image: 1-EE6-E91-D-45-A9-4-AC0-BF32-365372-FE11-A1.jpg]
Larger dia. (Scale) sized tires would fix that problem John....... Bigsmile
Stay Safe
Chris Walkeer

Hi John , I've just received one of these chassis for my Cooper Ford, so seeing your comments and mods was very timely  I think the central mounting points are for use in an F1 car without using the side pans.

Steve
[+] 1 member Likes Fluff's post

Thanks Steve, I think you may be correct....but any holes for body mounting using the pans?

That was my main point...getting the body floating with the outer pans. It would work using the two central positions (not an arrangement I like) but there is no lateral/sideways tilt control for the body unless you built that in.

The weight of the PP chassis is an advantage though.

Hi John ,my chassis came with some rudimentary instructions which indicates a couple of holes you drill yourself in the side pans but as you say only give up and down movement to the rear of the chassis ,no body rock at all . I was thinking of removing the supplied pans and making a new pair to try and address the problem . I'll see if I have the patience  Wrench

Steve
[+] 1 member Likes Fluff's post

(19th-May-20, 08:54 PM)Fluff Wrote:  Hi John ,my chassis came with some rudimentary instructions which indicates a couple of holes you drill yourself in the side pans but as you say only give up and down movement to the rear of the chassis ,no body rock at all . I was thinking of removing the supplied pans and making a new pair to try and address the problem . I'll see if I have the patience  Wrench

Steve

Hi Steve, why couldn't you leave the screws that go through the pans into the body a touch on the loose side to allow some body movement ??

Stay Safe
Chris Walker

Hi Chris ,the pans are far too low ,great for competition but not good for looks ,they hang about 3 mm below the body  . Will take some pictures tomorrow to show what I mean  .The whole sub chassis pivots about the front axle ,so no side to side rock just up and down at the rear end  .

Steve

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
18th-May-20, 09:56 PM
Last Post by steveaca
14th-Jul-19, 04:13 AM