Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 4 in 2 posts
Likes Given: 5
Joined: Oct 2022
Hi, Everyone
My names Neil, I’m from the Blackburn Lancashire area.
I’m a complete novice to slot car racing. I bought a scalextric set around 5years ago, but didn’t have the room to do it justice. Now that my circumstances have changed I’ve a whole room, I can dedicate to the hobby.
I’m thinking of constructing the Nürburgring from the scalelextric plans on this site. If anyone out there can give me any idea of how much room this track would need and which would be the best power supply to run such a large layout? I would be very grateful for the info.
Many thanks.
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
Welcome to the hobby and the forum!
printables.com/@MrFlippant
(This post was last modified: 14th-Oct-22, 04:34 PM by
MrFlippant.)
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Welcome
Most of the track plans on here indicate the size of the footprint. The one I saw is around 7.0m x 2.5m
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Welcome on Board - good to have you here!!!
Will be great to watch you build and design your track - looking forward to it!!
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,026 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
Welcome to SlotRacer Neil
A Nürburgring layout is a superb choice! Depending on the amount of room you have, there's a plan for the modern GP circuit at 7 x 3 metres (
https://slotracer.online/track-plans/sca...-5191.html) or a suitably massive 10 x 6.5 metres for the iconic Nordschleife (
https://slotracer.online/track-plans/sca...-5196.html). If you have room for that Nordschleife, then you're a very lucky chap!
I am sure we can help you adjust them to fit the space you have available - the GP circuit design was the outcome of this thread:
https://slotracer.online/community/showt...hp?tid=978
As for power, a power supply upgrade is always a good start (
https://slotracer.online/manual/power.php), but what is even more important is good distribution of that power around the circuit using tight track connections and power taps / jumpers (
https://slotracer.online/manual/track.php).
Are you going old-school in terms of power, controllers and lap timing? Or are you looking at the newer Scalextric ARC Air or their digital ARC Pro system?
Posts: 2
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 4 in 2 posts
Likes Given: 5
Joined: Oct 2022
Thank you for the swift reply.
I’m definitely thinking of going down the digital road.
The ARC Pro system sounds good.
I’m sure the price will reflect that.
I priced up the cost on Amazon of all the track pieces needed to build the Nürburgring it comes to just under £900. I’m sure it’ll be worth it.
If I’m going to get into this hobby, I’m willing to spend the money to get the most out of it. Can’t wait to get started…..
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Welcome to SlotRacer, Neil.
Posts: 553
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 816 in 362 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
hi Neilor
<--- Burnley ( lets not talk football )
good to have you here
Kev
•
Posts: 385
Threads: 23
Likes Received: 511 in 192 posts
Likes Given: 717
Joined: Dec 2021
Location Cowplain, Hampshire UK
(14th-Oct-22, 11:13 PM)Neilor Wrote: Thank you for the swift reply.
I’m definitely thinking of going down the digital road.
The ARC Pro system sounds good.
I’m sure the price will reflect that.
I priced up the cost on Amazon of all the track pieces needed to build the Nürburgring it comes to just under £900. I’m sure it’ll be worth it.
If I’m going to get into this hobby, I’m willing to spend the money to get the most out of it. Can’t wait to get started…..
Welcome, it certainly becomes adictive.
You can save yourself a lot of money but purchasing second hand track, there's a lot of it out there.
Look forward to watching your build.
•
Posts: 984
Threads: 112
Likes Received: 1,307 in 493 posts
Likes Given: 1,247
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Cambridgeshire
Hi and Welcome :)
You are also in the fortunate position of not being very far from one of the UK's biggest slot car and accessories suppliers:
Pendle Slot Racing | Scalextric Cars, Spares, Track & Sets
•