17th-Apr-24, 06:56 AM
To update on experience of this.
On a club track in the out the box configuration this was not a good experience. In fact the expereince was bad enough that I did not note any lap times as they were slow and any attempts to go fast resulted in a deslot.
Someone at the club who has invested some time in working on this chassis for tuning advised that it flexes too much and can use some stiffening of the chassis. So O cut some strips of .2mm PLA plate that could be attached and several layers to tune it. The next visit to the track with this configuration was far better.
Although still not getting my fastest times, it was competitive and stable up to a point. For comparison on this track an enjoyable lap should be sub 6 seconds. Low 5 second laps will be winning events if consistent for the Scalextric classes. The car I am testing with so far gets a good reliable 5.4, faster than this and it likes to jump.
My method for stiffening of the chassis was not optimal as it also has the affect of moring the motor and magnet higher affecting the center of gravity and traction. Also I am really not a fan of the Plafitt arrangement for joining of chassis and body. These side mounts of plates on foam just always seem a little too hit/miss and flexible to me.
I spend some time designing and printing a carrier for this instead that attaches firmly to the body and then the chassis to this.
This now has the chassis fixed firmly in place, the motor and magnet at the correct height, and removed that chassis flex. As a bonus I made some mounting points for Tamiya weights in a number of places so I can tune more if needed.
Off to the club again this weekend to see if this all can make it competitive.
On a club track in the out the box configuration this was not a good experience. In fact the expereince was bad enough that I did not note any lap times as they were slow and any attempts to go fast resulted in a deslot.
Someone at the club who has invested some time in working on this chassis for tuning advised that it flexes too much and can use some stiffening of the chassis. So O cut some strips of .2mm PLA plate that could be attached and several layers to tune it. The next visit to the track with this configuration was far better.
Although still not getting my fastest times, it was competitive and stable up to a point. For comparison on this track an enjoyable lap should be sub 6 seconds. Low 5 second laps will be winning events if consistent for the Scalextric classes. The car I am testing with so far gets a good reliable 5.4, faster than this and it likes to jump.
My method for stiffening of the chassis was not optimal as it also has the affect of moring the motor and magnet higher affecting the center of gravity and traction. Also I am really not a fan of the Plafitt arrangement for joining of chassis and body. These side mounts of plates on foam just always seem a little too hit/miss and flexible to me.
I spend some time designing and printing a carrier for this instead that attaches firmly to the body and then the chassis to this.
This now has the chassis fixed firmly in place, the motor and magnet at the correct height, and removed that chassis flex. As a bonus I made some mounting points for Tamiya weights in a number of places so I can tune more if needed.
Off to the club again this weekend to see if this all can make it competitive.
My DIY projects and failures at https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/
Various projects and videos at https://www.youtube.com/@DaleChan-nel

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)