Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
I've swapped out the stock Scalextric guide on my Classic rear wheel drive Mini, for a Slot.it 'CH85 Advanced Blade Screw Racing Pickup', to control slop that I think was contributing to de-slotting.
Advantages are a longer, deeper guide that is more stable. I.E. the screw adjustment has done away with the sideways and back to front rocking that was apparent.
However, this has been replaced by a limited angle of rotation. I.E. with the stock guide in the slot you could pose the car at a maximum of 45-50 degrees on a straight piece of track, as seen below.
With the new guide this angle is now restricted to 25-30 degrees.
Will this be a problem, or another advantage? I have no opportunity to test the revised handling before the next club meeting.
(This post was last modified: 1st-Sep-21, 06:14 PM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
Hello Topdown,.........restricted guide travel (less than 60 degrees minimum ) is an issue that needs to be sorted.
While most out of the box Scaley cars (and others) have much less than 60 degrees of guide rotation , they are designed to run with magnets, and 45/50 degrees of rotation is fine, as in a slide, the magnet will move off the rails, and the car will deslot before the maximum allowable rotation is realized.
In a non magnet car, much greater slip angles can be achieved without deslotting, and if there is not enough guide rotation, the guide will reach the limits of its rotation, and, one of two things will likely happen...........the guide blade will break, or the guide post hole will break. While you may get away with this a few times, you will certainly notice that once the car exceeds the limits of its rotation, it will snap back the other way,.........not the hot tip for handling consistency, nor for quick lap times.
I would highly recommend modifying the guide or the chassis plate in the area of the guide post hole to remedy this.
Cheers
Chris Walker
PS...while I am sure you will find a solution, if you do need some suggestions, I will be happy to help.......I will need a couple of chassis shots (top and bottom) with the body removed and the guide at its rotation limit.
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Thanks for that. I did think maybe the limited travel would cause the car to 'snap' back on itself when it reached the limit of travel and just de-slot in a new way.
I
may have solved the issue. Just got to put it back together again to find out.
(This post was last modified: 1st-Sep-21, 07:57 PM by
Top Down.)
Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
I've had multiple successes using the NSR Guide 4859 on different brands such as the Scalextric Trans-Am.
The guide seems to be a great replacement with no issues that couldn't be solved. Due to the way manufacturers design the mounting system for guides such as the Trans-Am I mentioned, I had sand down the guide area so the guide could rotate fully on the arc.
Johnno
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
I've solved the problem and restored full travel to the guide by halving the height of the block the braid and ferrules go in, so now it clears the mount and is only limited as before, by Scalextric's own built in guide stops, no problem.
Glad I asked and thanks to those who took the time to reply.