Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The beginning of a track. 1:32 scale

Hi. I am planning to build me a scenic track. 
More like a rally track than a raceway. And I want to decorate it. Like I want the pit lane to go to a fuelstation or so, instead of a pitbox. 

I have about 4 x 1.8m but i will not be able to reach over all so I am thinking an L shape with 4 meter x 1.3 and the _ of the L will be 1.8m. 

There is a lot of talk about flow. I dont know what the "flow" is or how you define it. 

I am mostly alone driving and I have a scalextric digital set with the 6 port powerbase and USB contact to plug into a pc. I have not tried the USB part yet. But I am a fan of the cross tracks and pit lane. 

I have drawn a lot of tracks on paper. But I dont have any experience in building tracks. 

Anyone who want to take part in this procces? 

Regards
Jan-Eirik
[+] 3 members Like Skogis's post

Happy to help! I have some experience building and tweaking tracks with the 6-car Advanced Powerbase (C7042). You said you mostly race alone - will you be using pace cars? Or will you be time-trialing against the clock?

I think to most people "flow" means a lap that is not just the same 'stop-and-start' at each corner. The aim for 'flow' is using various radius turns and different geometries to make each section of the lap different and interesting - and for each section to 'flow' into the next. That's what it means to me. And you only really know a track works when you build it and drive it - then you tweak it to make it better.

I am currently designing, building, testing and tweaking a very simple L shape Scalextric digital track to go round the walls of my office. I have very limited space, but aim for the four corners to each have a different 'feel'. There are a few Radius 1 pieces there (space is very tight), plus some Radius 2s (including a curved lane changer), six Radius 3s and two Radius 4 pieces. You have more space, so can be more creative!

Do you have a track design program on your computer? And how much track do you have already?

Some of the J-Trak modules might be interesting to look at for inspiration: slotracer.online/j-trak/
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

I do love to see a new track beginning. Dirtbike

Flow is a very difficult idea to explain, and in truth it probably means different things to different people. Putting it simply, to me, it means having curves that are sinuous, rather than geometrically rigid, it means having corners that tighten on entry, or open out on exit, or both. It means, for instance, replacing that 180 degree R2 corner, with a more interesting combination such as R4, R3, R2, R2, R3, R4.

I think what we're all looking for is a lap that is interesting, where your trigger finger is constantly adjusting the pace, rather than a stop/start experience. Controlling the speed of the car is all we've got, so I think it's important to use that as much as possible.
[+] 1 member Likes JasonB's post

As Jason says, flow can mean different things.

To me, it's nothing to do with different radius bends but all about being able to keep up a good pace without too many fiddly, so called 'technical' sections. Of course I don't want the stupidity (IMHO of course) of wing cars where you can't even see them but it's slot RACING and having a good open circuit means that you can press on and actually race. I have a couple of hairpins on my track but the rest lets the car open its lungs!

Maybe rally fans see it differently.
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

(4th-Oct-19, 09:58 PM)Hello and thanks for the respons.woodcote Wrote:  Happy to help! I have some experience building and tweaking tracks with the 6-car Advanced Powerbase (C7042). You said you mostly race alone - will you be using pace cars? Or will you be time-trialing against the clock?

This sound good. Its good to learn by others mistakes ;) hehe. 
I will do both. I like that the track is crowded with other cars. But I wil also run alone. Just to see how fast I can go. 

I am currently designing, building, testing and tweaking a very simple L shape Scalextric digital track to go round the walls of my office. I have very limited space, but aim for the four corners to each have a different 'feel'. There are a few Radius 1 pieces there (space is very tight), plus some Radius 2s (including a curved lane changer), six Radius 3s and two Radius 4 pieces. You have more space, so can be more creative!

Can you post a picture of the track you working on?

Do you have a track design program on your computer? And how much track do you have already?

I had one. But I just did a clean install of windows a few weeks ago. I dont remember what it was called right now. But it was free and had a wide range of both scalextric and other brands. 

Some of the J-Trak modules might be interesting to look at for inspiration: slotracer.online/j-trak/

This reminds me of some modules they have in the modeltrain hobby. I like the idea of it, but I didnt find more than a few layouts for it. It looked really nice. 

(4th-Oct-19, 11:57 PM)JasonB Wrote:  I do love to see a new track beginning. Dirtbike

Flow is a very difficult idea to explain, and in truth it probably means different things to different people. Putting it simply, to me, it means having curves that are sinuous, rather than geometrically rigid, it means having corners that tighten on entry, or open out on exit, or both. It means, for instance, replacing that 180 degree R2 corner, with a more interesting combination such as R4, R3, R2, R2, R3, R4.

I think what we're all looking for is a lap that is interesting, where your trigger finger is constantly adjusting the pace, rather than a stop/start experience. Controlling the speed of the car is all we've got, so I think it's important to use that as much as possible.

Thank you. I hope the track will be fun. I would also like to ajust the pace, not as you say just start/stop. :-)

(5th-Oct-19, 04:32 AM)Gordon Steadman Wrote:  As Jason says, flow can mean different things.

To me, it's nothing to do with different radius bends but all about being able to keep up a good pace without too many fiddly, so called 'technical' sections. Of course I don't want the stupidity (IMHO of course) of wing cars where you can't even see them but it's slot RACING and having a good open circuit means that you can press on and actually race. I have a couple of hairpins on my track but the rest lets the car open its lungs!

Maybe rally fans see it differently.

In my head, the pace will be fast. But not 100% because I think I can launch my cars 10+ meters if I just make a little ramp. They go stupid fast. hehe. Cant even see them. I am sure you know what I am talking about. I like it when I can see them. :)

Thank you all for the answers. :-)
[+] 1 member Likes Skogis's post

The measurements are more like 3.7 meters x 1.8 meters. 
But: 

If I make it Like a T shape. With the 3.7m on the top, and a 1.8 meter part sticking out in the middle instead of like the L shape. That part can actually be a bit wider. like 2 - 2.5 meters. Anyone have tried to build a setup like this ? 

I am just playing with ideas. 

-Jan-Eirik

(5th-Oct-19, 07:29 PM)Skogis Wrote:  Can you post a picture of the track you working on?

I should probably post these in another thread so not to distract from your planning process... but here we are:

I am very limited with space - the track needs to hug the walls. I have tried out the corner combinations and quite like them, but am struggling with various compromises with elevation (tucking one straight under another) or losing another foot (30cms) of space in the room. I started with the plan of two-layers, but am now tending towards more side-by-side with just a little elevation for aesthetic purposes. Anyway, I will start another thread...

You have much more space - which is always good!

On your question of L or T - I think L is my preference and it is easier to reach cars that have de-slotted. A picture of the room is always helpful.

As Andy has mentioned, you might want to take a look at the J-Trak system, which would allow you to have a copule of extra boards stored away so that you can change your layout every now and then.

These layouts are roughy 3.5m x 2.5 m, but obviously you could change the table size to fill your space. They are analogue modules, but there is scope for adding digital pieces.

A single lane rally track, just for a variation.

If the modular approach is not your thing, then here a couple of other suggestions.

I always find T shaped tracks difficult to design, because the leg of the T always seems to make things awkward. However, if it's possible to make your layout more triangular, then more options open up. This one is 3.7m x 2.4m and has a 20cm elevation change, rising towards the back of the layout.

This one is actually larger than you have space for, as I started it before your update. But it could probably be adapted. It's 4m x 2m, and has an elevation change of 50cm. It  should probably have another lane changer at the end of the bridge.

[+] 2 members Like JasonB's post

Thank you Jason for these tracks. The first track you posted that looks like a triangle did really speak to me. it left room to reach from each side and also contains some scenic patches. That's a big plus.

The elevation isn't as high as I want it. But I am sure it is high enough since we are working on such a limited space. Important to not overdo it either. I like the tracks with difference in elevation because I think it adds a new dimension of the whole track and scenery.

I like the turns that are on the left so I can make them part of the climb up on top. That looks really nice. 

Is it possible to make the start/stop on the left side. For easier access to set up the cars for a race ? My pitlane is also on the "Inner side" of the track when you drive from right to left. I dont know if it is reversable.

Is there a possibility to get the start/stop on the left side
[+] 1 member Likes Skogis's post

I did draw a plan for a table ealier. But it is too awkward. I reallt likes the idea of a triangle track ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by JasonB
10th-Jul-19, 08:22 PM
Last Post by UshCha
7th-May-19, 07:41 AM