Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New 2019 Scalextric Sets

The word from the Scalextric stand at the UK Slot Car Festival in May was that the company have begun to re-vamp their range of sets this year...
  • The new and vastly-improved 1/64 scale My First Scalextric and Micro Scalextric sets are aimed at beginners and younger racers.
  • The basic standard 1/32 scale sets are split into racing sets including the mechanical lap counter (eg the Jaguar I-Pace Challenge) and pursuit sets with a more 'street' vibe (eg the American Police Chase set). These have the new and improved speed-limiter hand controllers.
  • For more advanced racing, there are ARC Air analogue and ARC Pro digital sets with GT and LMP models included, plus the ARC wireless controllers and updated powerbases. Although the old ARC One Ultimate Rivals set is in this year's catalogue, there are no new sets with the basic ARC analogue powerbase.
Most of the new sets have been released over the past few weeks, with the I-Pace set due soon. All in plenty of time for Christmas - which is, of course, the target market and when new slot car racers are born...

The most expensive of the new 2019 sets is the C1404 ARC Pro 24hr Le Mans set. With a RRP of £249.99, this is the cheapest ARC Pro set so far. Squeezing a set into the sub-£250 price point is vital for retailers and also to tempt customers intrigued by the ARC Pro features. The set comes with two digitally-chipped Ginetta G60-LT-P1 Le Mans prototype cars, one power supply and two ARC wireless controllers. There is a decent loop of track and one lane changer, but a pit lane will be a necessary purchase to get the most out of the ARC app pit stop functions. To run more cars, additional hand controllers are required (up to six in total) and an extra 15V 4Amp digital power supply is essential to run four to six cars. Additional cars will need digital chips, although the ARC Pro powerbase does also have an analogue mode to run one non-digital car in each lane, but still using almost all the features in the ARC app. With the powerbase featuring updated hardware and firmware, I think this set is a perfect start in the Scalextric digital world. If you want an idea of what the ARC app can do, check out my guide here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...hp?tid=181

If you like the look of the ARC app features, but don't need digital, then ARC Air gives you pretty much the full range of ARC app features on a pure analogue layout. The C1403 ARC Air World GT set (RRP £199.99) is a fabulous set with plenty of track (including a hairpin), plus two superb GT cars - a Ford GT from Le Mans and a Mercedes AMG GT3 from the Blancpain GT series. Then there's the excellent ARC Air powerbase and two wireless ARC controllers. The standard 15V 1.2Amp power supply is perfectly fine for running Scalextric cars, but Scalextric have hinted that upgrading to the ARC Pro 15V 4Amp power supply can be useful if you're running high performance brands (eg NSR, Slot.it etc) with traction magnets fitted.

The C1405 American Police Chase set (RRP £129.99) features plenty of track hazards - a jump, sideswipe and cross-over - to add to the fun of an American-themed police pursuit. The Dodge Challenger muscle car and AMC Javelin patrol car look great, with the Javelin having a siren and flashing light. The gameplay aspect of this set is crying out for the new Scalextric Spark Plug where racers can boost their own power and limit their opponents. However, even with what comes in the set it will be a lot of fun. Like the I-Pace Challenge and the Christmas 2018 Stock Car Challenge and Endurance sets, new speed-limiting hand throttles are included. These have a similar handle to the ARC controllers, but plug into the powerbase. There are now four speed positions at approximately 25, 50, 75 and 100% power - the lower two settings are flat out through standard Radius 2 bends, but the top two settings do require careful throttle control.

It's good to see a racing set with brand new cars in the basic 'Standard' range. The C1401 Jaguar I-Pace Challenge set (RRP £109.99) has the same layout footprint as previous basic 1/32 sets, including the mechanical lapcounter and the new version of the power-limiting hand throttle. The I-Pace cars look good - they are chunky electric SUVs that run as a support race at the Formula-E series events.

All the Scalextric cars now come with 'super-resistant' style black windows. These are more robust and I am not surprised to see them in the standard sets, but I am not sure they are necessary in the top of the range ARC Air and ARC Pro sets. Personally, I would like to see full-detail cars in those ARC sets. However, that small gripe aside, I think Scalextric have put together a pretty cool quartet of new sets for 2019. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing what is in the 2020 catalogue!

I haven't forgotten the new My First Scalextric and Micro Scalextric sets - they deserve their own post.
[+] 4 members Like woodcote's post

A brand new Micro Scalextric system was announced at the start of the year and I was lucky enough to have a play with some prototypes and pre-production samples back in February (SlotRacer Online thread here: https://slotracer.online/community/showt...php?tid=69). It's quite a radical departure from the 1950s HO standard that has served Scalextric well since 1994. A lot of thought has gone into delivering a new system that should thrill and entertain youngsters and their families long after the Christmas holidays. The quirks of the old system made it prone to ruining Christmas - I am pretty confident the new system will bring only joy and happiness...

The main features of the new system are:
  • 1/64 scale
  • My First Scalextric for racers 3 years and above. Micro Scalextric for 4+
  • Flat rails instead of the traditional HO vertical ones
  • Robust sprung track connectors
  • 9 volt power instead of 18V. Mains power for UK market, battery power for elsewhere
  • New and improved power-limiting controllers
  • Smoother and longer-running FN20 motor
  • More robust blade plate and enclosed rear axle
  • Warner Brothers-licensed sets and cars
All the 2019 sets have now been released...

There are two My First Scalextric sets with the rather nice grey track and the G1140 Looney Tunes set (RRP £44.99) is by far the best. The Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck cars look utterly fabulous, drive well on the track and are very robust - the figures being made of a flexible rubber material. The new track comes in one curve radius (9-inches, 45-degrees) and the straights in 3 and 6-inch lengths. Even in this tiny 2.5 metre figure-of-eight set, that means the track pieces supplied can make four different layouts. As a kid, building the layouts was just as much fun for me as racing - I am sure I am not alone in that - so the versatility of the most basic set is a big bonus for Christmas morning.

Two individual Looney Tunes cars - Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner - are also available now (RRP £12.99 each).

The other My First Scalextric set - C1150 - is identical apart from the cars and the price (RRP £39.99). The cars are a sort of supercar-style design that first appeared in the final 'old-version' Micro sets last Christmas. Designed to fit on both the new and the old chassis, I noticed a little front wheel-rub on the body, which is not ideal but doesn't seem to affect the handling of the cars. Although the set is £5 cheaper, I would recommend paying the extra for those wonderful cars in the Looney Tunes set.

If the My First sets are the 'small' sets in the range, then the 'medium' size is shared by two Micro Scalextric sets. The best - and my favourite Scalextric set of any scale this year - is the G1142 Warner Brothers Wacky Races set (RRP £54.99). The four metres of track in this set can create ten different layouts. But the absolute stars of the show are the sensational cars - Dastardly & Muttley's 'Mean Machine' and Peter Perfect's 'Turbo Terrific'. These are from the recent reboot TV series, but they are just like those I remember from my childhood...

They look even better in the flesh, by the way. A third car - Penelope Pitstop's 'Compact Pussycat' - will be released soon (RRP £12.99). And with a bit of luck, there will be more Wacky Races cars in 2020. I have my fingers well and truly crossed.

The second 'medium' set is the G1149 Micro Scalextric Law Enforcer set (RRP £40.99). The track included is exactly the same as in the Wacky Races set with ten different layouts possible. One of the cars is the same supercar-style body as the My First set, but with a different livery called 'Maelstrom'. The other is a futuristic-style Police 4x4 vehicle ('HH Police Department'). Both body styles first appeared last Christmas in Micro sets featuring the old track and chassis system. At the same price as one 1/32 scale Scalextric car, this set is most definitely the bargain of the bunch.

The only 'big' set for 2019 is the G1143 Micro Scalextric Justice League set (RRP £59.99). There are 5.7 metres of track in this one, including two loop-the-loops and a half-pike, that offers twelve (and probably more) different layouts. It is an exciting layout to race on - especially using the two top settings (75 & 100%) of the speed-limiting hand controllers - the cars will thunder round the track for absolutely ages without getting particularly hot (thanks to the FN20 motors). Unless you are a massive Justice League, Batman or Superman fan (and a lot of people are), then the cars aren't quite on a par with the Looney Tunes and Wacky Racers ones. The cars have been designed to embody the characters of the superheroes and each one is from a different mould and the decoration of all four is eye-catching. They are also low and sleek for the track. Batman and Superman come with the set, with Wonder Woman and The Flash due soon as individual cars (RRP £12.99 each).

Those are the sets available direct from Scalextric, but expect a few different versions to appear at various big retailers (eg Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Argos etc) in the run-up to Christmas.

Overall, there's almost certainly something among the Scalextric 1/64 and 1/32 scale sets that would hit the spot for a Christmas present for a young racer or an older returning slot racer. The My First and Micro Scalextric sets will get their first Christmas test in just three months time, but I am confident they will pass with flying colours. If the new sets do outlast the holidays, more families may well stick with the smaller scale for longer, especially with the individual cars and promises of accessories, track and more cars in 2020-21. The four new 1/32 sets also offer plenty - from the awesome fun of the Police Chase set and the basic I-Pace Challenge racing set, up to the fully-featured ARC Air analogue and ARC Pro digital sets. And there is already a vast range of 1/32 scale Scalextric track, accessories and cars to help feed a new slot car hobby...

You can browse all the Scalextric products and investigate the ranges more thoroughly at https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/
[+] 3 members Like woodcote's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by ABBO
5th-Sep-19, 08:54 PM
Last Post by abie321
11th-Jul-19, 06:08 AM