Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Interesting Track Idea

Just thought I'd share a track design that I did for a friend. You might well know him, Graham Lane. The idea was all his, I just interpreted it and drew it up. It's a three lane routed track, where the outer part is a standard analogue layout with 9cm lane spacing, but the infield narrows down so that it's basically a two lane track with an inner lane that wanders between the two in a racing line.

I thought it was an interesting idea, part of which was to introduce some of the strategy involved with overtaking in digital racing. Might be an interesting hybrid, or it could just confuse every body. What do you think?

[+] 3 members Like JasonB's post

Middle lane for my car please.

I love puttering with gears

Interesting idea. You could just use the two gutter lanes as a regular track as they are 'non-interference'. The centre lane could run a 'ghost car' or 'jam car' to add a little more jeopardy and spice. Alternatively use two adjacent lanes, the one in the centre wandering all over the place to do the same but with both cars under driver control, etc. Plenty of possibilities.
[+] 1 member Likes Top Down's post

Honestly - knowing Graham and the fact he is a racer - it will become redundant - from my personal view - either go digital or straight analogue.

In 1:1 - a constantly weaving car will be black flagged .

Hello Jason,
My view on  this is flipping between "mad" and "brilliant".  

Did it ever get built and trialled? 

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

(21st-Aug-20, 07:37 AM)BourneAgainRacer Wrote:  Middle lane for my car please.

I imagine that would be potentially the slowest lane, since you'd have two other cars to avoid, where the outer lanes only have one.

(21st-Aug-20, 07:49 AM)Top Down Wrote:  Interesting idea. You could just use the two gutter lanes as a regular track as they are 'non-interference'. The centre lane could run a 'ghost car' or 'jam car' to add a little more jeopardy and spice. Alternatively use two adjacent lanes, the one in the centre wandering all over the place to do the same but with both cars under driver control, etc. Plenty of possibilities.

Yes, I think it's part of the plan to use the outer lanes for regular racing.

(21st-Aug-20, 10:23 AM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Hello Jason,
My view on  this is flipping between  "mad" and "brilliant".  

Did it ever get built and trialled? 

Leo

It's still at the planning stage.

We raced on a track that had lots of squeezes, it was a somewhat frustrating track because there were limited places you could safely pass. It wasn't uncommon to be stuck behind the car in the lane beside you for ages.

Strategy became get in front as quick as you could and stay there LOL

It looks to me like the middle lane is near to a 'proper' racing line, which is one of the joys of running digital - whether with others or own your own. It should be the quickest way round and makes a lap a different driving experience from standard-spaced analogue lanes. Squeezing for the sake of squeezing doesn't interest me - but a racing line does.

When racing that lane against others, there will be the disadvantage of having to negotiate cars on both sides. But having raced a lot of 6-car digital races on two lanes, if you're up against good drivers, interactions with the other five cars are fairly infrequent. On a decent-size three lane analogue track (which this is), they'll be a few exciting moments to size up, plan for and execute (or not) - but most of the time will require the usual focus on driving a quick lap.

Another lesson learned from digital is that using 'slower' types of cars gives drivers more time for the race craft - and they are often more forgiving if a manoeuvre goes wrong. It's also important to have rules about contact - and penalties for drivers that cause an incident.

Looking forward to seeing how the idea develops.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

I think it's important to remember that there are three different options here...

There is a single lane racing line track for timed runs and testing. There is a two lane layout with no squeezes for regular racing. And of course there is a three lane option for more experienced racers, where overtaking would be more challenging.

I also forgot to mention that it's semi modular, being made up of four tables, so expansion is possible.
[+] 2 members Like JasonB's post

I do think that if used as a two lane racing circuit,(or single lane test/tune layout) it will be great.........if/when used as a 3 lane circuit, there are far too many "squeeze" portions which severely limit passing opportunities (usually into /out of corners)

Cheers
Chris Walker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dazee
20th-Jul-20, 01:04 PM
Last Post by JasonB
5th-Jun-20, 03:58 PM
Last Post by JasonB
12th-Oct-19, 08:42 AM
Last Post by JasonB
10th-Jul-19, 08:22 PM