Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
I have a set of inserts in the Fuchs style, which I bought from Pendles, for a Porsche rally car in my collection. These come in standard-fayre off-white resin. The rivet counter in me wants them painted in the classic Fuchs silver-over-black. So, how do I achieve this? Obviously airbrushing the black first, then applying the silver, is the way to go. But.......... What method do I use to apply the silver? I thought about soaking a baby sponge in the paint and then (carefully...) wiping the insert across the surface.
What am I missing? How would you do it? Would you even bother?
For information, this is the style I'm talking about.
Thanks in advance,
Stuart.
Best regards,
Stuart.
•
Posts: 2,053
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,409 in 1,388 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
I first sprayed the inserts black and used a chrome pen for the spokes.
The trick is to hold the insert upside down while using the pen so the chrome can't pool into the insert.
The inserts were easy to paint before being installed in the wheels.
(This post was last modified: 14th-Feb-24, 11:48 PM by
KensRedZed.)
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,194
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Molotow chrome pens are good...BUT...don't touch it afterwards even when it's dry because the shiny chrome finish will dull...so seal with a water based lacquer then it's happy days you can touch to your hearts content
...obviously also applies to wherever else you decide to chrome like bumpers, mirrors, window and body trims
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 280
Threads: 6
Likes Received: 352 in 149 posts
Likes Given: 196
Joined: Jul 2020
That's certainly one way of doing it, as described by @KensRedZed
I would paint the entire wheel the silver you want it to be, and then use Tamiya Black Panel Line accent color to paint the black with a very fine number 000 brush
You could clear the silver to be sure the black wash doesn't ruin the paint, if you don't have a steady hand