Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Faster motor for rally?
#20

(27th-Sep-24, 10:20 AM)Brumos RSR Wrote:  
(24th-Sep-24, 08:21 PM)StuBeeDoo Wrote:  I'm with Munter on the ratios.  When I was involved with 1:1 rally cars, a 4.75:1 rear axle was always referred to as lower than a 4.375:1.  And a 3.89:1 was higher than both of them.
Me too!! We ran 4:10 gears for drag racing and 3:55-3:73 for road racing.  3:27 for street driving in Mustangs.

That brings back a few memories.

I used to work as an automotive machinist in a speed shop back in the early 80's. We rebuilt V8 engines for drag and street racers.

When I first started there. I owned a 1976 Camaro LT with more polution control devices than should be allowed on any one car. It had a 350 cubic inch 4-barrel V8 that was rated at a mere 165 hp. Slower than molasses going uphill in winter.

My co-workers inspired me to build and install a 350 V8 from a 69 Corvette that was rated at 350hp. What a wild improvement!

I was asked what gear ratio I had. I didn't know. So the guys put my car on the hoist and found I had 3.08's. They all started laughing and told me to get a proper gear ratio.

Then one of the regular customers walked in with a set of 4.56's and says "I want 4.88's instead. Anyone want these crappy 4.56's for free?". I quickly flew in from the back shop and said "memememe!".

Oh my goodness! What a tire-fryer. Like night and day. City driving became insane. Easily light up the tires with a quick stab of the throttle. However, It's not so lovely to go 55mph on the highway with the tach at 3,800rpm. Plus, I was buying new rear tires (BF Goodrich TA's) every few months. It quickly became an expensive hobby. Very short lived.
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Faster motor for rally? - by bowley - 24th-Sep-24, 03:19 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 24th-Sep-24, 03:25 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by bowley - 24th-Sep-24, 04:28 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 24th-Sep-24, 04:57 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by bowley - 24th-Sep-24, 05:27 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 24th-Sep-24, 06:34 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by munter - 24th-Sep-24, 07:47 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 24th-Sep-24, 07:56 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by StuBeeDoo - 24th-Sep-24, 08:21 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Brumos RSR - 27th-Sep-24, 10:20 AM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by KensRedZed - 27th-Sep-24, 12:09 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Wicker Bill - 24th-Sep-24, 09:03 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by bowley - 24th-Sep-24, 09:32 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 24th-Sep-24, 10:28 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by munter - 25th-Sep-24, 07:46 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 25th-Sep-24, 08:20 PM
munter - by munter - 25th-Sep-24, 10:43 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by Kevan - 25th-Sep-24, 11:04 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by JasonB - 25th-Sep-24, 11:56 PM
RE: Faster motor for rally? - by munter - 26th-Sep-24, 01:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gpa113
19th-Nov-25, 03:06 PM
Last Post by bowley
8th-Oct-24, 12:05 AM
Last Post by Kevan
15th-Aug-24, 12:26 PM
Last Post by bowley
3rd-Jul-24, 05:20 PM
Last Post by bowley
3rd-Jul-24, 05:15 PM
Last Post by Top Down
10th-Jun-24, 06:45 PM
Last Post by StuBeeDoo
5th-Jan-24, 06:54 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)