29th-Oct-22, 02:11 PM
I have a fixed layout that hasn't changed in 14 years LINK. Occasionally I run it backwards but I have never got bored with it and there are always new challenges with the different types of cars I run. I also have access to another two excellent tracks with our monthly GOLD meetings LINK which provide all the variety I need.
It all really depends on which aspect of our varied hobby appeals to you most - just the racing or also building a little fantasy world to run your cars in. If the racing is most important and changing tracks regularly is part of that then you are really limited to proprietary plastic track with very little in the way of scenery. Extensive scenery almost automatically rules out regular track alteration. I don't like plastic track and prefer the smoothness of a permanent routed mdf set up which is not suited to wholesale changes. It can be done but it involves a great deal of extra work.
It is often said that model railway enthusiasts are not really interested in running the trains, building the layout is the real challenge. I must be a closet railway man because I enjoy the scenery aspect of my track as much as the racing and there is always something new to add, alter or maintain so the fact that the configuration is permanent doesn't worry me in the least.
Each to his own though and we are all free to enjoy the hobby in the way that suits us best.
It all really depends on which aspect of our varied hobby appeals to you most - just the racing or also building a little fantasy world to run your cars in. If the racing is most important and changing tracks regularly is part of that then you are really limited to proprietary plastic track with very little in the way of scenery. Extensive scenery almost automatically rules out regular track alteration. I don't like plastic track and prefer the smoothness of a permanent routed mdf set up which is not suited to wholesale changes. It can be done but it involves a great deal of extra work.
It is often said that model railway enthusiasts are not really interested in running the trains, building the layout is the real challenge. I must be a closet railway man because I enjoy the scenery aspect of my track as much as the racing and there is always something new to add, alter or maintain so the fact that the configuration is permanent doesn't worry me in the least.
Each to his own though and we are all free to enjoy the hobby in the way that suits us best.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)