Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Carrera layout questions
Question 

While converting to a Digital layout I noticed the actual layout differed from a track planner version in that I can not get the 4 straights on the inside to be parallel. The culprit is a High Banked curve section containing (3) 20575 HB Curve 2 30's (1) 20509 standard straight and (3) more 20575 HB Curve 2 30's. According to Autorennbahn planer and logic the corner should yield a 180 deg. turn. Can anyone tell me the height I should be supporting the top of the track pieces at to obtain this 30 deg. banking while producing a truer 180' turn, or guidance on order of assembly? It certainly makes a difference. In process of converting this layout to be both Analog and Digitally powered, I also noticed that I needed to break internal jumpers (Control Unit) but continuity still indicates both lanes are wired together. So this is perfect time to correct parallel problem when track is disconnected to find out why. Any Suggestions out there?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've not used the Carrera 1/24 scale high banks, but having used other high-banked turned (especially rigid plastic, like Carrera), I've found mixing flat pieces in a banked section can be problematic. The banks are pretty much designed to be 180-degrees with the entry and exit straights gradually lifting up from flat to meet the banking. If you have two 90-degree curved sections linked by a straight, then I don't think that middle straight is ever going to work as you want it to. You probably can tweak the section (maybe try and bend it a little), adjust the banking and that might give you a compromise that works and at least gives you two parallel straights.

As for the digital / analogue hybrid powerbase lanes being connected... it will either be something you haven't snipped in the powerbase or it will be any power taps / jumpers you have are connecting the two lanes - not a problem in digital, but it will cause this issue in analogue. Carrera lane changers and pit lanes don't cross the power on the lanes, so they won't be causing it.

Hello PepsiKid51,
I have a Carrera layout. The only time I have worked with the high-banked curves was when making a video on them without them actually in a circuit. However, I recall the natural spreading of the in and out sections. As Andy says above I think the best approach is to set up a free-standing U shape and put in supports until the in and out straights are parallel.  Perhaps you could start by allowing a space where the inner-border/shoulder would be.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Thanks, Power Taps remain biggest suspect in that I have 6 (PMTR1085) pieces in place. They are directional specific, thus the tear-down for confirmation. Continuity testing impossible with breaking sections apart, but was curious if any other Carrera Digital pieces besides Control Unit (Start Light, Check Lane) might be jumped as well. Will consider modifying layout without straight in High bank because I want to move entrance to pit lane as well (extremely difficult maneuver).

I modified the layout (eliminating entering Pit lane difficulty). Along the way I did check ALL digital pieces for internal jumpers, and found only the Control Unit uses them. Parallel lane paths were corrected using better bracing in high banked curve sections. Spent a little time in upgrading MY Carrera track manual to include little known track piece Part Numbers as well as dimensions including slot lengths, and footprint sizes.
Currently, testing wiring concepts before securing layout in place. Complete new wiring is being done to ensure all is proper, starting from the power source, then the Analog controller circuit (standalone) and Digital side. Will be conducting ANALOG testing without the Digital Control Unit in layout, once it operates correctly I'll swap the Control Unit in and check the Digital side. Hopefully the modifications to eliminate the internal jumpers that provide crossover (both lanes powered from a single source) will be corrected using a 4 wire harness providing independent (although identical) power to both lanes from the Control Unit.
I'm attempting to wire two completely separate systems  with a common power supply (Both Analog and Digital) both using their own set of controllers. Isolation is accomplished with a DPDT knife switch which allows only one or the other to have power at any time. Back flow or crossover due to using the same Power Taps to distribute the power is isolated with using 10A10 diodes on the positive Digital feeds.
[+] 2 members Like Pepsikid51's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by paolo
30th-Aug-21, 09:02 AM
Last Post by JasonB
25th-May-21, 05:10 PM
Last Post by munter
9th-Apr-21, 02:53 AM
Last Post by JasonB
10th-Jul-19, 08:22 PM