Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Lotus 23 wood carving
#9

(1st-Dec-21, 03:29 PM)Carver Wrote:  How about an old-fashioned build thread?



The 23 hardly need any introduction. As close as you can get to a magic carpet in 1962! This small and incredible low car is not often seen as a 1/32 scale slot car.
Actually, when I started this, I had never seen one. Nowadays there is of course the GTM version.

This all started a year and a half ago as a cooperation with a US chassis builder. I was to build two wooden bodies and he was to make two metal chassis.
Then swap, so each one of us would get one complete car.
Sadly, due to health problems, my partner has not been able to finish the chassis.
After a long time in a box I've decided to make one of my own low-tech wooden chassis, I can't wait anymore to see a Lotus 23 on my track!

First some pics from the body factory last year, I try to keep the story short... Scroll down if it gets boring!



Starting, as always, with the usual block of lime tree and rough shaping.



Since the windscreen is an integrated part of the form I include it with the body shape for a start to get a total view.
I like to get the headlight of perplex installed early, they are also part of the shape. This is a very early phase, it is still far too tall...



A bit further! I thought I'd try making the windscreen out of 5mm perplex.



I did not get things right on #1 (yellow), so I started with a second one!
Improvements? Look for example at the connection between glazing and plate work.



When I knew how I wanted it to be, I was able to correct #1 as well.



Finally, I did the third one to be on the safe side! After all the work with the first two shells, this was a walk in the park...
Actually, it suits me well to work with 2 or 3 at the same time. #2 went to the USA, but I still have two to play with!



One of them has to be green! Some detailing work, clear plastic sprue and piano wire for mirrors, and brass nails for taillights.
I have tested a number of colours for the other car.

After this background summary, let's go back to the future in the next chapter!

Cheers Carver

This is fantastic to see Carver,
could you show us how you make the windscreen?
I'm going to give a balser wood build a crack and seeing your awesome work is very inspiring.

Cheers
Tony
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 1st-Dec-21, 03:29 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by JasonB - 1st-Dec-21, 03:46 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Gordon Steadman - 1st-Dec-21, 05:44 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by KensRedZed - 1st-Dec-21, 06:37 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 1st-Dec-21, 07:57 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 14th-Dec-21, 03:12 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 5th-Feb-22, 11:33 AM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by rallyhub - 5th-Feb-22, 11:46 AM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 5th-Feb-22, 03:59 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by rallyhub - 5th-Feb-22, 06:15 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 6th-Feb-22, 10:01 AM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Tibbs - 6th-Feb-22, 08:41 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Tibbs - 5th-Feb-22, 11:58 AM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Tibbs - 5th-Feb-22, 12:00 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by rallyhub - 6th-Feb-22, 10:20 AM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 8th-Feb-22, 03:01 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Tibbs - 8th-Feb-22, 04:14 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by rallyhub - 8th-Feb-22, 06:25 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by JasonB - 8th-Feb-22, 08:28 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by KensRedZed - 8th-Feb-22, 11:23 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 9th-Feb-22, 05:28 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Barc - 1st-Aug-22, 03:54 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Carver - 2nd-Aug-22, 12:31 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Kevan - 2nd-Aug-22, 12:49 PM
RE: Lotus 23 wood carving - by Barc - 3rd-Aug-22, 11:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by ARUP
15th-Feb-25, 01:18 PM
Last Post by CMOTD
18th-Feb-23, 02:33 PM
Last Post by Barc
3rd-Aug-22, 11:28 PM
Last Post by Kevan
1st-Aug-22, 10:02 PM
Last Post by Barc
1st-Aug-22, 02:32 PM
Last Post by KensRedZed
11th-May-22, 04:42 PM
Last Post by Tibbs
11th-May-22, 01:04 PM
Last Post by Anthony B
8th-Oct-21, 12:10 PM
Last Post by KensRedZed
9th-Feb-21, 07:17 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)