Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Got some really nice used Scalextric Caterhams and apart from having to change one pinion, even though I could see nothing wrong with it using magnifying glasses, they're great - apart from one.
The rears on that offer no traction whatsover, which seems to be down to perished? hardness rather than the original compound, as the others are ok.
I could swap the rears with the fronts but I'd like to do away with the magnet really, so can anyone recommend replacements please?
I have seen elsewhere that they are an odd size?
Thanks for any help offered.
(This post was last modified: 8th-Feb-20, 11:58 AM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 285
Threads: 53
Likes Received: 402 in 177 posts
Likes Given: 39
Joined: Apr 2019
I cast urethane tyres for Scalextric Catherham if interested but i am away from home and cannot deliver before february 24
(This post was last modified: 8th-Feb-20, 12:30 PM by
AlexisGaitanis.)
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Urethane or silicone? Oops, it says it in the text.
At home it doesn't matter but Urethane only at the club.
Nice to see the original tread retained though.
(This post was last modified: 8th-Feb-20, 02:25 PM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Sorry Alexis. I think I'll have to support the UK 'cottage industry'.
Just got to make a decision. The look of the originals, or go for slicks?
(This post was last modified: 8th-Feb-20, 03:05 PM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello Alexis,
That green car is a Lotus 7 and the wheels are different from the Caterham. Are your tyres for the Lotus? (Caterhams have minilte style wheels that are wider and smaller diameter). I am interested in Lotus 7 type.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 86
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 31 in 24 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
If you're not averse to using silicone tyres, you can use Indy Grips IG1006. They fit perfectly on the stock Minilite rims.
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Thanks for that.
For HO racing, where any single compound tyre was allowed, I much preferred silicone. (Stock rubber, silicone and urethane could all play nicely together as it was 'extreme' mag' racing.) Couldn't get Urethanes to perform at all well myself, although I know some preferred them.
However, in magless 1/32 racing they don't mix well, apparently.
I haven't had the opportunity to try silicones where I race as their rules exclude them. Stock tyres, or urethanes. Both can be glued and trued and I respect that rule.
It's one more tuning challenge 'to get to grips with'.
(This post was last modified: 9th-Feb-20, 07:30 AM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Oh - and the Caterham tyres are not such an odd size after all, looking at the fitment chart WASP provides. (Thanks for pointing me at those Brian.)
I was just going by a post I'd read elsewhere that mentioned the difficulty in obtaining tyres for them.
•