7th-Apr-23, 06:27 AM
I have recently been cataloging my collection of cars and bench marking them so I have some figures to refer to when I spend a bit more time on tuning. For this I have decided to use as one objective method the time each car records for a 50m distance @10v, and then later the best times for home track and club track. If anyone interested Tamiya makes a nice little speed tester for their Mini 4WD cars and I adapted this for slot cars. Can either measure speed on km/h or time to cover a set distance.
While doing this one of the Carrera DTM cars decided to give me a face of white smoke which in turn got me an ear bashing from Mrs Dazee....
After testing the car with a new motor and everything good, I decided to see if I could fix the smoked motor instead of using a nice new one. Reading a few posts across the web, I got alot confused and then just followed some reckless advice to just do it and expect to fail the first 6 times!
I dutifully took the motor apart, making notes on turns in the wire, direction etc and ordered a couple of small spools of enameled wire. .1mm and .26
The Carrera motor wire looked the same as my new .1mm spool so I used that first, as I also order the longer quantity for that too and thought enough to make a couple of mistakes. The original motor having 187 turns of wire on each arm, I rewound with the new wire to 150 turns - ran out of fingers and toes for counting at this point...
The rewound motor ran, but got hot pretty fast. At this point I was not sure if this was due to the fewer turns I used, or that I took a real close look and possibly botched ones of the arms enough to have a short. So took it all off and tried the larger wire.
.1mm to .26mm does not seem like much difference, but heck it meant alot fewer turns. I was able to get 45 and that was it!
Test running at 6v and 8v was no issues at all. But when trying 10v my test power supply choked, so I went and got my track power to continue testing. At 10v it drew just over 2A but ran happily and fast - a time only bested by a 30k motor I have.
Happy enough to go test this car further now and also maybe look to get some more wire stock in different sizes to try some more down the line.
Nothing burst into flames, so I call this first step a success!
While doing this one of the Carrera DTM cars decided to give me a face of white smoke which in turn got me an ear bashing from Mrs Dazee....
After testing the car with a new motor and everything good, I decided to see if I could fix the smoked motor instead of using a nice new one. Reading a few posts across the web, I got alot confused and then just followed some reckless advice to just do it and expect to fail the first 6 times!
I dutifully took the motor apart, making notes on turns in the wire, direction etc and ordered a couple of small spools of enameled wire. .1mm and .26
The Carrera motor wire looked the same as my new .1mm spool so I used that first, as I also order the longer quantity for that too and thought enough to make a couple of mistakes. The original motor having 187 turns of wire on each arm, I rewound with the new wire to 150 turns - ran out of fingers and toes for counting at this point...
The rewound motor ran, but got hot pretty fast. At this point I was not sure if this was due to the fewer turns I used, or that I took a real close look and possibly botched ones of the arms enough to have a short. So took it all off and tried the larger wire.
.1mm to .26mm does not seem like much difference, but heck it meant alot fewer turns. I was able to get 45 and that was it!
Test running at 6v and 8v was no issues at all. But when trying 10v my test power supply choked, so I went and got my track power to continue testing. At 10v it drew just over 2A but ran happily and fast - a time only bested by a 30k motor I have.
Happy enough to go test this car further now and also maybe look to get some more wire stock in different sizes to try some more down the line.
Nothing burst into flames, so I call this first step a success!
My DIY projects and failures at https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/
Various projects and videos at https://www.youtube.com/@DaleChan-nel

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)
,......and please keep winding