Hang out the bunting and light the candles…
April 21st 2019
It feels like only five minutes ago that we officially opened the SlotRacer.Online site, but it turns out it was actually three years ago. I guess time flies when you’re having fun.
We originally set out to create a site both for and by slot car enthusiasts, with no commercial agenda, and complete independence. It felt like a bit of a risk at the time, but we felt that the time was right to put our hobby first.
Now, with a burgeoning membership, and with 29 million hits and 1.6 million visits to the site this year alone, it’s fair to say we’re happy with how things are going so far.
But we have no intention of resting on our laurels. There are a million things we want to get done, and with fair winds and following seas we might just achieve a few of them.
Anyway, thanks very much for joining us on the journey, it’s very much appreciated. Keep up the good work, and most importantly enjoy your slotting, whichever flavour you prefer.
- The Forum The forum is the heart and soul of this site, with so many friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic members. It’s a great little community, and we’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has joined up and posted, we couldn’t do this without you. If you’re not already a member, we can only ask “Why on earth not?”
- The Library With over 250 complete slot car publications to browse through, the Library is a great place to settle down and have a read. With such a wealth of magazines and brochures, we’re sure there’s something there for everybody.
- Members Tracks If you are looking for ideas and inspiration for your track build, or if like me, you just enjoy seeing what others have done with their layouts, then our hand picked selection of members’ tracks, with details, photos and links to the full forum threads is ideal.
- The SlotRacer’s Manual The SlotRacer’s Manual is our attempt to guide you through all the steps you’ll need to get your cars running smoother and faster, your track working perfectly, and your trackside scenery looking fantastic.
- The Chronicle The Chronicle is a little look back at some of the history of our hobby, with the story of the NSCC, the origins of the UK Slot Car Festival, the complete catalogue of Maxi Models, the story behind the ultimate hillclimb, a look back at Vanquish MG, and some odd choices made by Scalextric and SCX.
- Graphics An A to Z of slot track graphics, banners, logos, textures, posters and backdrops. In short, everything you need to get your your track kitted out, and your track room looking great.
- ARC Pro Guide This is our ARC Pro app user guide, but it’s also much more than that. It’s not just about the technical details, it’s also stacked full of useful tips about how to use Scalextric’s digital racing app practically, in a real racing environment.
- Track Plans With over 170 track plans from nine different systems and every possible scale, our Track Plans section is a great starting place for ideas if you’re thinking of building a new track.
- British Racing Greens British Racing Greens is the story of the airfield race tracks of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, their history, and the lasting effect they’ve had on British motorsport. Including over 60 Scalextric track plans.
- Artomotive Artomotive is a section of the site where we take an unapologetically nostalgic look back at the wonderful plans, cutaway drawings, and artwork of the classic cars of the past.
- F1 2018 Here’s our take on the 2018 Formula 1 season, with a look at the history of each track, race details, past winners, circuit details and elevation maps, and of course loads of slot track layouts. One day I’ll finish it off.
- Grand Prix Directed by John Frankenheimer, this classic 1966 film was both innovative and iconic, and is rightly classed as a motor sport masterpiece. We’ve got the story of the whole film, and we’ve also managed to secure a massive haul of previously unpublished material, including behind the scenes photos, and publicity shots.
Normal service will be resumed in next week’s Digest, where we’ll bring you our usual mix of news from the world of slot cars, motorsports, and automobiles. Hope to see you then.