Slot car manufacturers and retailers are extremely busy getting their products on sale in time for Christmas – so there are plenty of new arrivals this week. But it’s not all about buying more stuff… there’s much to enjoy in this week’s Digest and a few freebies too…
- Ferrari 512M Slot.it have just released images on Facebook of the prototype for their forthcoming CA51 Ferrari 512M – the car entered by David Piper in the 1971 Le Mans 24 hours. The Slot.it model (not Policar) is due to arrive in April or May next year.
- New from George Turner George Turner Models have three new kits available…
- Ford Escort RS2000Staffs Slot Cars first exclusive car of three should be available from slot car retailers at the beginning of next week. The Ford Escort RS2000 is a limited edition of only 200, all numbered.
- SCX Audi S1 RX Despite a slow year for SCX, a couple of lovely new rally cross cars have just arrived in the UK. The Audis of Robin Larsson and Gergely Marton are available now.
- New from Slot.it Two Slot.it cars are due to arrive with retailers this week. The Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 is a brand new model to add to Slot.it’s Modern GT range. You can find out all about it in our News section. The Group C Toyota was driven by Suzuki, Ogawa and Hoshino at the 1986 1000kms of Fuji.
- Porsche 917/10KA new twin-set from NSR is expected later this month, with the 1972 Porsche 917/10K of George Follmer, the winner at Laguna Seca and Mark Donohue who finished second. Limited edition of 600 pieces.
- New Super Shells kits Pendle Slot Racing have added 3 more Super Shells 1/32 body kits. Available now are a Ferrari 250P, Lotus 30 and a Porsche Carrera 6. These are original Super Shells stock from the 1960s – Made in England.
- Renault 4 GTL Like most Spanish manufacturers, artisanal re-livery maestros Scalextric Passion have had a very quiet year so far. However, there’s a treat available for Christmas – a stunning reworking of the SCX Renault 4 to represent the quirky Group A Renault 4 GTL driven at the 1991 Monte Carlo Rally by Jacky and Antoine Cesbron. Only 50 units will be produced, which you can purchase direct from Scalextric Passion – or hope Pendles add this model to their range.
Tracks & Scenery
- Goodwood buildings For anybody who is interested in building a Goodwood style track, then Magnetic Racing have a full range of 1/32 scale buildings, including the pits, control tower, Super Shell building, marshal’s post, and TV tower.
- Set-up plate and tool files for 3D printing John has kindly donated more STL files for forum members to print at home. This time there’s a double-sided set-up plate, an M4 hex handle and a 1/4″ socket driver spinner.
- Software Downloads If you’re feeling a little adventurous, then you might be interested in our retro software packages. We have a track designer, a slot car inventory, a race management system, and even an advanced combination of all three for Scalextric. Although these applications are discontinued and no longer supported by their original creators, they may still be useful to the slot car enthusiast with a little patience.
- Buenos Aries The Gran Premio Internacional Standard Supermovil YPF (Touring Car Grand Prix) was a race like few others. In spite of it’s name the event was no Grand Prix, as we would know it. It was actually a long distance rally, held over ten days in the rugged Argentine plains. We have the story of Ewy Rosqvist’s brilliant win, as well as track plans for the Buenos Aries circuit.
- ForoSlotMadrid The largest slot fair in Spain takes place on the 18th December, held for the first time at the historic Jarama Circuit. ForoSlotMadrid is expected to host a wide range of exhibitors and merchants, including Fly Slot, who are celebrating their 25th anniversay
- UK Winter Slot Car Market This UK-based event is less than two weeks away. There’s plenty of info and all the latest news in our Events section.
- Slot Car Magazine The November issue of Slot Car Magazine is available now as an ebook and magazine. The team will be at the Winter Slot Car Market with the latest edition and plenty of back-issues – plus some SRC goodies to give away.
- Alfa Romeo Spider in Sicily A classic car full of friends, spending time in and around the beautiful Sicilian town of Erice – what could be more perfect? Join photographer Andrea Casano for some splendid words and pictures on the Petrolicious website.
- Valentino Rossi’s top 5 MotoGP wins 25 years after his Grand Prix debut, Valentino Rossi has retired from two-wheeled motorsport. One of the all-time greats, the Italian has nine World Championships to his name – and is the only rider in history to win titles in 125, 250, 500cc and MotoGP categories. Also very fast in race and rally cars, he’s looking at four-wheel racing options for 2022.
- Brazilian Grand Prix It was another F1 weekend full of intrigue, excitement and controversy – both on and off the track. But what a race! There are just three rounds remaining of this 2021 season – all on the Arabian peninsula – starting in Qatar next weekend.
- Motorsport and COP26 Formula E team Envision Virgin Racing took their new car along to the COP26 United Nations climate conference in Glasgow last week. True, the relationship between motorsport and climate change is a complex one – but the BBC website takes a thoughtful look at whether the sporting authorities are cleaning up their game and how race team engineers can play a big role in developing greener transport.
- Greenpower International Finals 2021 The Greenpower Educational Trust have produced an excellent short film about their 2021 grand finale at Goodwood last month. Greenpower is a programme that gets school and college students enthusiastic about science and technology in a practical and exciting project – grass-roots motorsport. The YouTube video is well worth a watch.
- Petit Le Mans 2021 The 10-hour finale of the IMSA sportscar championship took place at Road Atlanta on Saturday. The first eight hours were a slow-burner, but the final 120 minutes kept spectators on the edge of their seats as the race and class wins – plus drivers’ championships – went down to the wire.
- Trac Môn Race of Remembrance UK circuit racing finishes for the winter with a number of tradional end-of-season races, including the Race of Remembrance at Anglesey. Beginning on Saturday, the 12-hour endurance race ran into the night and paused for a Remembrance Day service on Sunday morning.