Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Strombecker -an odessy starts

I have said elsewhere, I have been collecting 'bits' for years. In this last very strange year, I got the bit between my teeth to get on with assembling and then building, and in some cases updating all these bits.

I have this large box labelled Strombecker (also have Cox, Monogram, F1's Airfix etc etc etc Rofl  ). Out came all the pieces on Saturday, started putting pieces together, assembling the components to get going.

This is the more scarce brass chassis with the drop arm. I ahve 2 and not sure which cars I will add them to.

Showing 3 of the various - and there were many - chassis types.

4 Of the bodies in this pic - Plymouth Barracuda, Lotus 30, Lotus 19 and Lola T 160.

WHile I want to keep as close to vintage aspossible, I decided to try an update, The chassis splits top and bottome, I removed the front and rear rear axle . I took 3/32 or approx 2.78mm and sleved them in brass tubing. Cut the tubing so that they also provide spacing to hole gear in place. I used a spanish gear that I had and fitted, as well as appropriate wheels.When the top and bottom are married back together, it forms a firm clamp holing the brass tubing without crusing the tube to the axle. Tried on test bech and it works well. Vey smooth gearing.

These mods can be seen in the above pic.

I cleaned the bodies, and primered.

I have painted 4 so far.

The 4th is in the pic below with some of the other cars that need to be done as well.

The journey continues.
[+] 3 members Like Anthony B's post

My Targets for some of the cars above:

I have a couple................

[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-50-copy.jpg]

[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-47-copy.jpg]

[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-44-copy.jpg]

[Image: DSCN4614.jpg]

[Image: 2003-12-31-23-00-00-60-copy.jpg]

My favourite is Stirlings' X1X from the Players' 200 at Mosport in 1961.

[Image: 2009-10-02-13-18-09-copy.jpg]
[+] 7 members Like chrisguyw's post

Beautiful looking lot of cars Anthony!

My Strombecker 2D is turning green with envy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 3 members Like KensRedZed's post

Strombecker made some nice cars. A rarity in Northern Britain.

Leo

(27th-Apr-21, 04:43 PM)I.Pace Wrote:  Strombecker made some nice cars. A rarity in Northern Britain.

Leo

Hi Leo, I am a bit confused about your "Northern Britain" reference ??............I thought Strombecker was a North American outfit.

Cheers
Chris Walker
[+] 1 member Likes chrisguyw's post

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Wasnt North America not the northern states of the UK back in the day???

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Oh dear lord.,.. that’s my reaction to Chris’s builds. They are just mind bogglingly good.  
I can only aspire to get close to your ability!!

Some progress......

[+] 2 members Like Anthony B's post

Anthony,

Those are looking great!

Chris Walker is the best builder I've ever met. But a man can only have 10 out of 10 on the fun factor scale. I can't hold a candle to Chris's builds. But I am having fun getting away with what I'm getting away with. Like green Chaparrals. If you know what I mean?  Wrench

My inspiration for the next 2D isn't white either.

You look like you're having 10 out of 10 on the fun factor scale. Congrats!  Thumbup

I look forward to seeing your progress.  Sun

Ken
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post