Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

S-Can/Short Can Motors

Just getting into motors...

I noticed that Pendle have separate categories for S-Can and Short Can motors.

I can see that S-Cans perhaps all have a separate plastic end bell, whereas Short Can motors seem to be enclosed within a metal case. But I cannot believe there are separate categories just based on the design of the case.

Are there fundamental differences between these two motor types?

I love puttering with gears

Dont want to hijack the thread but more along lines of adding to it. AM looking forward to the knowledgeable people answering your question as I too am interested.

In another thread Grah mentioned motors from China. I decided to give them a try.

They arrived in SIX days and for a change - no duty or post office charges - so for 60 odd Euros I got these 26 motors:

Not tested them as yet but one thing I can tell you is that the magnetism shown by these motors, far FAR outweighs anything bought locally - so I am expecting big things from them.  You will al;so note I chose the ones that extend both sides of the motor so can be used in more applications.

the strongest magnets there btw are in the HO look alike motors

Hello Jeremy,
"S-Can" is not a manufacturers designation, it came into common use after Scalextric started using that type of motor. No idea of  why.  The "Short Can" designation refers to motors that are the same construction as "Long Can" but are shorter.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

i've just  had  a  batch  of  the  yellow  endbell   s  cans to  test   and  I  find  they  are  on par  with  the  best   of  my  nc1s running  at  13500 rpm    at  12v . and  at  99p  each   well  worth  a  punt . The  ones  I  have   are    shaft  from  the  can  only  as  nc1. Down side  may  be  they  are  not   carbon  brush  type  so   I  cant  say   how  long they  might  last   on  the  plus  side  the  magnetic   field  is  stronger   than  the   Nc 1 . They  do  loose  out  to  the  12k    short  cans  I  reviewed    by  about  the  length  of  a  car   over  3mtrs .
I  also  recieved  a  26d  size    designated  an fc260 this  runs at  about  27 k  and  has  carbon  brushes also  can drive . It  may  be  an  option  to  get  some  vintage  chassis  mobile  as  26ds  are  now  a bit  rare .

(20th-Nov-20, 01:16 PM)BourneAgainRacer Wrote:  I can see that S-Cans perhaps all have a separate plastic end bell, whereas Short Can motors seem to be enclosed within a metal case. But I cannot believe there are separate categories just based on the design of the case.

Are there fundamental differences between these two motor types?

They aren't interchangeable in most chassis / motor pods, which is almost certainly whey Pendles have kept them apart - "that motor you sold me doesn't fit!". My very limited experience of the Short Can is from the latter-day Ninco NC9 'Sprinter' motor. I think some of the MSC cars have them too?

Despite the design being different (outside and inside), I suspect the rpm and torque stats are going to tell the tale of how they perform - the Scaleauto S-Can and Short Cans seem similar from the data on the Pendles website - but that's not to say some of the characteristics won't be different, like magnetic downforce maybe?

It is fun picking up cheap sub-£1 motors from China. I got some long-cans a while back that looked and performed like they were from a batch of Avant Slot motors. I have some of the yellow end-bell S-Cans with the metal brushes that are a bit rough, to say the least! Plus some white-can carbon-brush ones that are pretty smooth, come out about 23k rpm, but are a bit gutless torque-wise. Also found some lovely lower-rev replacements for the Scalextric FF motors. All great for home use, but probably a false economy for competition?
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

So fit rather than different inner architecture...?

The components are almost identical, but the inner architecture is slightly different - mostly to do with the brushes. Depending on the specs of the important components - magnets & armature - the performance will be similar. There are a lot of variables (magnet size & strength, ohmage of the armature, wire gauge, commutator timing, brush material, brush tension etc.) that give specific characteristics to any motor, so I suspect the difference in the can design will be another factor.

In short, the 'S-Can' is an FC130 motor and has its brushes and springs fixed in the plastic 'endbell' which attaches to the half-metal 'can'. The 'Short Can' - or FK130 - has slightly different gubbins inside a fully-metal can. Most 'Long Cans' are FK180 motors - same set up, but longer.

If you have the full motor code of a Mabuchi motor, you can interpret it via this guide: https://www.mabuchi-motor.com/product/kn...tions.html

That can be useful on eBay or Alibaba etc.
[+] 5 members Like woodcote's post

Thanks.

Got it.

[+] 1 member Likes BourneAgainRacer's post

(20th-Nov-20, 05:49 PM)woodcote Wrote:  It is fun picking up cheap sub-£1 motors from China. I got some long-cans a while back that looked and performed like they were from a batch of Avant Slot motors. 

I got a handful of those clone orange Hurricane motors too.
Wish I'd grabbed more. Really decent motors of similar performance to the nsr king purple.
Very worth grabbing despite the short spindle which made inline setup a little more problematic.

The Chinese Avant offloads are easy to spot because Avant have most of their cans painted instead of wrapped.
Now, if anyone spots any Republic motors (pink) , Sprint motors (red) or Hunter motors (white / black) being off-loaded, please message me !
Alan W
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Hi Andy, 

I don't suppose you have a link to the lower rev Scalextric FF motors you managed to get hold of ?

Some of the modern GT3 cars just rev like crazy, and would be so much nicer if they were comparable to a standard Scalextric Mabuchi.

Many thanks, 
Pip
[+] 1 member Likes Gpa113's post