Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scalextric Ford Sierra RS500 Rallycross 'Came 1st' - Bjørn Skogstad

Scalextric C4155 Ford Sierra RS500 'Came 1st' - Bjørn Skogstad, European Rallycross Championship. Available now. RRP £40.99

The Ford Sierra RS Cosworth dominated Division 1 in FIA Rallycross competition for five years after the homologation of the RS500 in the summer of 1987. Back then, the former-WRC four-wheel-drive Group B Division 2 cars were the top competitors, but the two-wheel drive Group A Division 1 - mostly Volvos and Saabs - was still a prestigious title to win. It took time for the Sierra drivers to get to grips with the new car and find the perfect rallycross set-up, but Bjørn Skogstad took his yellow Sierra to victory in Spain, France, Belgium and Norway to win the 1988 European Division 1 title...

Skogstad is pictured alongside fellow Norwegian Martin Schanche - "Mr Rallycross" - who battled the likes of Will Gollop and Matti Alamäki in the Group B cars. It turned out 1988 would be Bjørn Skogstad's only European title, but he certainly was in the mix for more glory. In 1989, he won four races, losing out to Sierra-newcomer Kenneth Hansen - who would go on to win four straight European Division 1 crowns, Skogstad finishing runner-up each time.

Between 1988 and 1882, Sierras won 42 of 54 events in Division 1 and provided some incredibly exciting racing. Here's a typical first-lap scrap from 1989 - Roger Sandberg in the white and blue Sierra going on to win after putting Skogstad's car into the bank at Hämeenlinna...

Back to the Scalextric Sierra...

... it looks another great model. The 'Came 1st' is the precise logo seen on Skogstad's car from 1988 through to 1992. There's one early picture I've seen with what looks like 'Camel', but maybe the RJ Reynolds lawyers had a word after that? The Scalextric design team seem to have taken the archive picture above as their reference. I'm not entirely sure what year or event it is from. It was usual for the Division 1 cars to have numbers starting at 100 - the champion carrying #101, runner-up #102 etc. Skogstad had finished ninth in 1987 and carried #109 in his championship season. I have found one other picture (first one below) with what looks like the #104 on the 'Came 1st' car and it features Hansen's green BP Sierra with a yellow bumper. I'd guess that's the Belgian race in 1990 - which Skogstad won. But I'm probably wrong! The second pic is from 1992, when Skogstad had #102 on the car again.

It's great to see Scalextric go beyond the British, European and Australian touring car arenas to add a rallycross Sierra to the range. I do hope they follow up Bjørn Skogstad's car with at least one of Kenneth Hansen, Trevor Reeves and Evind Opland, who were the big winners with the Sierra. Despite the dominance of the car, only seven drivers won events with it - Roger Sandberg, Tom Einar Aaserud and Michael Jernberg were the others.

The C4155 Ford Sierra RS500 'Came 1st' is available now at all your favourite Scalextric retailers.
[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

(12th-Nov-20, 06:24 PM)woodcote Wrote:  I have found one other picture (first one below) with what looks like the #104 on the 'Came 1st' car and it features Hansen's green BP Sierra with a yellow bumper. I'd guess that's the Belgian race in 1990 - which Skogstad won. But I'm probably wrong! The second pic is from 1992, when Skogstad had #102 on the car again.
Hi Andy,

It is in Belguim. There is advertising of "Ijsboerke" and "Gazet van Antwerpen" which means newspaper of Antwerp.
Ijsboerke advertising is also typical for Belgium.

I think you were looking for this:
9:34-12:15 and 14:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnsmNN8...l=Barmybob

rallyhub Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes rallyhub's post

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for Thumbup

Certainly looks like the Scalextric car is from the 1990 European Rallycross Championship season. I looked at a quite lot of video, but - understandably - it was mostly of the Group B cars. It's brilliant to see those Sierras in action!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Scott
4th-Feb-24, 08:21 PM
Last Post by darrenp60
14th-Aug-23, 10:31 PM