Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
Has anyone managed to get a Scalextric VW Beetle (C3361, C3484, C3642, etc, etc) to run mag-free?
I've tried all sorts with mine, short of a 3dp chassis......
Loads of weight, anywhere it will fit - including low down in the interior.
PSR 16k motor.
Scaleauto guide.
Paul Gage tyres.
......... and still it rolls out of the slot on just about every corner.
Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'm going to give-up on this one.
Best regards,
Stuart.
•
Posts: 882
Threads: 51
Likes Received: 2,386 in 709 posts
Likes Given: 2,635
Joined: Apr 2019
Location The Netherlands
Did you already consider a change to a sprung guide?
Maybe rounding the sharp edges of the tyres is also an option.
Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Less grippy tyres to encourage oversteer?
Ballast behind the rear axle to encourage oversteer?
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 285
Threads: 53
Likes Received: 402 in 177 posts
Likes Given: 39
Joined: Apr 2019
I think this is the best way
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
That modern Beetle is probably a lot wider than the ones Stu is referring to
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
(9th-Apr-24, 10:23 PM)Kevan Wrote: That modern Beetle is probably a lot wider than the ones Stu is referring to
It is.
..........Thanks anyway, Alexis.
Best regards,
Stuart.
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Hi Stuart,
I have a Scalex Beetle. It's tall, skinny, and very top heavy. It really needs those magnets to help it along.
The only thing you can do is add enough weight to the front of the chassis so the back slides.
I had to run a Beetle at out club. I gave up on the Scalex and bought an Arii kit from Japan. Still tall and skinny. But very light. It works great.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
It's good to see VW Beetle action on the forum, Laurence on SF would definitely approve
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
(This post was last modified: 10th-Apr-24, 12:48 PM by
Kevan.)
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
Go light.
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Here's a reality check. Laurence is on his deathbed. He'll never post anything again. I don't think his posts are an issue anymore. Anything said can only be in memory. Now might be a good time to cut Laurence some slack. Just this one time.
We're all just waiting for the hammer to drop. Somehow I became his friend even though I never owned a Beetle. I never will either. I don't like them. Just don't tell Laurence.
Stuart's suffering will soon be over. Technically it already is.
Ken