Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Allen key holder
#1

A while ago I released a STL file to create a handle to take the 4mm hex bits, so I could have a range of drivers to go in the pit box with blade, pozi & allen drivers pre-fitted (3F solution see below). One of the problems with the 4mm hex allen drivers is that they are too short to get to the wheel grub screws without leaning on the tyre or with the shallow hubs the wheel itself. Other parts like motor screws are also a problem. So for these I was using plain allen keys to get the reach. Problem with that is as you get older (62 now) your finger fumble factor (3F) increases and I have lost count of number of the Slot It allen keys flicking up and disappearing over the bench edge and seeking passage to biro heaven in the most inaccessible recesses under the bench.

Solution as I saw it was to put the allen keys in a holder, hence the design below.

   




This has a hole to take either the Slot It or NSR sized allen key and a slot to allow the allen key to be pushed down until it reaches the bottom of the slot, this also stops it from twisting in the holder. The cap (red) then slides over, the key section goes in the slot and centralises the allen key and then locks on the curved section at the bottom of the travel, but can still be prised off if the allen key is beyond use.

By opening up the hole and slot and adjusting the key on the cap then you can cater for other sizes, i.e. I made one for the BRM allen screws.

Note: depending on printer/print setting then the hole/slot may need some fettling either on the print settings or with a drill/file for best fit.

.stp Allen Key Holder.stp Size: 207.34 KB  Downloads: 2


.dwg Allen Key holder.dwg Size: 77.02 KB  Downloads: 1


.stl Allen key holder 1.stl Size: 2.73 MB  Downloads: 6


Cheers
John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 7 members Like JMay's post
Quote
#2

Yes those stubby 1.5mm bits are a little difficult to get past the tyre whilst allen keys are generally cheap...and can be resharpened many times over...this is a must try for me, thanks Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#3

erm, I meant 0.9mm  Rofl

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#4

Nice! I had one from thingiverse but it was loose and still too small for comfortable use. I like your design with the locking ring. Once my printers are done with their current jobs, this one will be next. :)

printables.com/@MrFlippant
Quote
#5

(13th-May-23, 12:53 PM)JMay Wrote:  Note: depending on printer/print setting then the hole/slot may need some fettling either on the print settings or with a drill/file for best fit.

My printer is well dialed in, but the lock ring is so loose it just falls off. I assume you added a gap of some kind in the model? I can import the STL and mess around to remodel it, but figured I'd ask if you'd be willing to share the files as STEP for easier editing, or post a version of the ring with zero gap. When I print models with a zero gap, it's usually a good, snug, press on fitment as the design would dictate.

EDIT: Never mind. I remembered a new feature in the latest PrusaSlicer, and was able to easily scale the ring to the correct size for zero gap. I'll print it now to see how well that worked. :) I also found that the original model size is way too big for the slot.it kex keys I have, but it fits the ScaleAuto/RevoSlot size keys perfectly. I'm going to scale it down for the slot.it version and see how well that works.

printables.com/@MrFlippant
Quote
#6

What new feature Greg?

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#7

(15th-May-23, 03:55 PM)Kevan Wrote:  What new feature Greg?

In the latest Beta (and the latest Alphas before that), there's a new "measure" tool. That tool also has a built-in scale option whereby you can measure part of the model, and then change that measured dimension to what you want it to be, and scale the model accordingly. I measured the part of the handle the ring goes over to be 10mm diameter. The ID of the ring is 10.5mm diameter. I set that to 10mm and clicked the Scale button, et voila! I just did the same for resizing the handle to better fit the slot.it size allen key (60% btw) and will report back how well that works for me. The new ring for the original print is almost done, so will be back shortly with pics and results.

printables.com/@MrFlippant
Quote
#8

New ring fit perfect.



Printing the smaller handle now.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       

printables.com/@MrFlippant
[+] 1 member Likes MrFlippant's post
Quote
#9

And the slot.it version (60%). A little snug, but it went together without much complaining. 

   

Amazing how much smaller 60% really is. :)

   

Thanks again for the files, John!

printables.com/@MrFlippant
Quote
#10

(15th-May-23, 03:59 PM)MrFlippant Wrote:  
(15th-May-23, 03:55 PM)Kevan Wrote:  What new feature Greg?

In the latest Beta (and the latest Alphas before that), there's a new "measure" tool. That tool also has a built-in scale option whereby you can measure part of the model, and then change that measured dimension to what you want it to be, and scale the model accordingly. I measured the part of the handle the ring goes over to be 10mm diameter. The ID of the ring is 10.5mm diameter. I set that to 10mm and clicked the Scale button, et voila! I just did the same for resizing the handle to better fit the slot.it size allen key (60% btw) and will report back how well that works for me. The new ring for the original print is almost done, so will be back shortly with pics and results.

I'm still on Prusa 2.5.1

...sounds v.useful though.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)