Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

"New" NSR tyres (Black not the reds!)
#1

Can anyone tell me if these are grippier or just better made over "old" ultra's on wood tracks ?
I notice that a lot of them specify "not for use on air hubs" this seems a backward step, unless of course they can match air hubbed old ultra's on a solid wheel.
Does any one have any experience with them on wood tracks and can comment on any of my points ?
[+] 2 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote
#2

Do you have a code or link to these 'new' tyres?


[+] 1 member Likes Johnno's post
Quote
#3

If it is the Evo version you are talking about, these are being avoided in favour of the non-Evo original version in the proxy builds for wooden tracks in most of the Championship race series in Noth America.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#4

Err .. dunno, I think it was more the fact many stated "not for use on air hubs" in the description. Probably was the evo but I did post this over 2 years ago so you'll have to forgive my poor memory  Bigsmile
[+] 1 member Likes Savage GT's post
Quote
#5

There is a thread I started about 5years ago that was aimed at decoding Slot.IT tyres but has become a repository for Slot.IT, NSR and Sideways tyres.

Search for "slot it tyre past and present" on slotforum.
The most recent info contains useful part numbers for NSR Reds and NSR Blackreds.

The NSR Supers and Ultras have a good reputation, especially on wood.
The newer "Evo tyres" - not such a good reputation
The reds and blackreds are totally different, not responding to oil prep at all and are the homologation tyre for NSR sponsored events.

Alan
[+] 3 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#6

Alan, you alluded to these tyres on the world wide chat, where do you think they lie in the range supers-ultras-extremes?
Quote
#7

Not really in a "range" 
It's easier to think of tyres in terms of grip alone,
From very grippy to quire slippery but that is not really representing the whole story. 

I have found, that with the right oil prep, on the right track , ultras and supers are unbeatable when used on on high power angle winders (eg an nsr mosler lightweight with a king 25k rpm motor) easily producing enough roadholding to cause understeer DeSlots on tight corners
Ultras and supers require truing, no way can these tyres be fitted and run without prep on a good truing machine.
Ultras and supers also benefit from light application of zippo during a race night.

Reds (and black reds) don't require high level of prep and maintenance and can be used week after week without reskimming. 
Some even run these untrued and not glued. 
A simple "on the axle" skim is all these require (if that) 

However, red&blackreds appear to be easily overpowered By high power motors, tearing up the tyre surface.
I use reds on lower power cars, eg my sideways grp5 cars with flatsix yellow motors or on "classic gt" cars with small sidewinder motors.

Reds appear to give a more predictable "bounce" to the car (I can't really think of a better word).
Reds soak up track imperfections giving a more predictable and  forgiving drive.

So, sorry to say there is no simple answer to your question 
Just try to figure out which tyres work on which cars by experimentation.

Alan
[+] 3 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#8

I agree, Ultras are best but well prepped Supers are almost as good but last longer.

I've used Reds on a test car and liked them, they don't pick up, they don't seem to wear much and they're super consistent without the need to baby them every week with treatment...but we only allow black rubber tyres so it looks like the BLACK RTR's need trying out.

I prefer SW with 22-25k
Quote
#9

Anyone try the grey tire on wood?  I’ve only used them magnet racing on a Carrera track with good results and wear characteristics.
Quote
#10

I've been testing blackreds, they're a pain to true.
They don't seem to 'give' like Supers and Ultras ( not Evos, ignore those). Grip wise somewhere between untreated Supers and untreated ultras.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gordon Steadman
28th-Dec-21, 05:15 PM
Last Post by Kevan
20th-Dec-21, 08:08 PM
Last Post by autoavia
30th-Jul-20, 11:02 AM
Last Post by Top Down
20th-Jun-19, 04:59 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)