Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello all,
I just received a message about the above re-opening this Saturday. The web page is a bit suspicious so am wondering if its some sort of scxam?
Like typical scams it says "
Membership is limited and set to be very popular so don't miss out"
Anyone know anything about this? I registered for updates so it may be legitimate.
Leo
Click on the link at your own risk !! https://scalextric.hornbynews.com/2DJZ-1...7E/cr.aspx
Site says:
THE SCALEXTRIC CLUB IS RETURNING THIS WEEKEND
The wait is nearly over! The Scalextric Club is coming back and this year, we are bringing you a brand new, exclusive membership package. Keep an eye on the Scalextric website this Saturday (18th May) for details of what's on offer and how to purchase your membership.
Membership is limited and set to be very popular so don't miss out!
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
The link does look a bit odd, but this was mentioned briefly on their FB page last Friday....
Quote:If you’re attending the UK Slot Car Festival next week (18-19th May) be sure to come over to the Scalextric stand. We’ll be showcasing our new Sparkplug dongle and unveiling the new Scalextric Club – you won’t want to miss it!
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Cheers Jason, that's a relief. I hadn't been able to find anything on the main site.
Feel free to delete this topic or replace with a better version.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,025 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
It’s definitely going to be launched at the Slot Car Festival this weekend. Details have been sparse - I guess those arriving early to set up will find out tomorrow. People will be able to sign up at the event.
Good interview with Martyn Weaver, the Scalextric ‘Head of Brand’ in the latest Slot Car Magazine:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/marc-abbott-and...00305.html
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
"I wish I’d asked Martyn Weaver if people calling it ‘Scalectrix’ "
That should be the first question to ask anyone from Hornby !
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 597
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 446 in 271 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
(This post was last modified: 18th-May-19, 08:30 AM by
Johnno.)
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,025 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
It's definitely something that will excite collectors. For the £40 you'll get the club exclusive car plus a copy of the catalogue delivered to your door - that starts with the 2020 catalogue and the 2020 car (the BMW E30). The car was at the Festival and looked very nice.
The 10% discount is on cars and accessories, not sets.
Something that's not mentioned on the website is that there will be other limited edition cars offered to members, plus any rarities discovered in the warehouse and the chance to bid on some pre-production samples and prototypes.
As for any extra members-only content - magazines, articles etc - we'll have to wait and see. The Scalextric Club members' section of the website is pretty much unchanged since 2017-18 when the club went dormant.
(This post was last modified: 21st-May-19, 08:12 AM by
woodcote.)
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Well after about 30 seconds of deliberation, I will not be joining. Decision based upon the fact that I am not at all interested in the 2020 car and basically its a case of buying that specific car to get membership. I can wait until the 2021 car is announced before I take advantage of the "exciting" and "exclusive" benefits that I can match elsewhere.
I guess the reality of Hornby's expectation is that they are not bothered.
I notice that the "Hornby Club" is only £28 and offers a "free loco", that's pretty much how the Racer club worked IIRC.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,025 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
I’ve happily paid my £40 and am interested in seeing how it develops. It’s not going to be something that appeals to everyone, although the vast majority of Scalextric customers tend to be brand-loyal collectors or home racers who most probably will be tempted.
The Hornby Club loco is always one of the 0-4-0 tank engines that retail for around £28. That would be the equivalent of one of the Lightning GT Super Resistant cars for Scalextric. I am happy they’ve gone with a ‘proper’ high detail car in a real racing livery - that should appeal to as broad an audience as possible.
Looking forward to seeing what else appears on the website between now and the end of the year...
Posts: 597
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 446 in 271 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
(24th-May-19, 03:40 PM)woodcote Wrote: I’ve happily paid my £40 and am interested in seeing how it develops. It’s not going to be something that appeals to everyone, although the vast majority of Scalextric customers tend to be brand-loyal collectors or home racers who most probably will be tempted.
The Hornby Club loco is always one of the 0-4-0 tank engines that retail for around £28. That would be the equivalent of one of the Lightning GT Super Resistant cars for Scalextric. I am happy they’ve gone with a ‘proper’ high detail car in a real racing livery - that should appeal to as broad an audience as possible.
Looking forward to seeing what else appears on the website between now and the end of the year...
I agree with woodcote here, I too am interested in seeing how the club evolves and what they are going to offer besides the discount as I too can order the cars in Australia cheaper than from Scalextric, because of low money exchange rates and high cost of freight.
It will be good to get the 2020 catalogue at start of 2020 unlike the 2019 catalogue which still has not arrived now half way through the year, ridiculous really.
And yes the proper livery is a good change and let's hope that they continue these liveries going throughout the years to come.
As mentioned, brand loyalty will come into play here for quite a few people, I am one of them even though I am new to this industry I have chosen Scalextric because of the "
brand name" itself.
I only hope that enough people join the club so it can continue to be offered.