Posts: 2,513
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
So took the car to RaceWars in MK to get some wood track running.
Inspecting it on my return home, I noticed this damage to the inside edge of the left hand tyre (in the picture)
It look like 'shear' tears all the way round the circumference.
There was a fast 'curved strait' on the track which, when you slammed the brakes on, the rear of the car gently hung out to the left, which made me wonder if the tyre was catching on the (flush) track braid.
Do you think this was a 'one off' event caused by the sharp edge to the tyre (I know...I know...) and running the car on these tyres will not increase the extent of the damage further?
Thanks
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 195
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 401 in 173 posts
Likes Given: 8
Joined: Mar 2021
Can't tell by the picture but is it possible through expansion the corner of the tire was touching your 3D chassis? Or carefully check for interior rub. It looks like rubbing another surface for sure.
Is there a very slight right turn on the straight causing the car to swing slightly to the left when you brake? I guess it could be possible if the braid is slightly higher than the track surface but if the braid is lower or even with the surface I can't really see that?
Rob
Posts: 573
Threads: 9
Likes Received: 569 in 284 posts
Likes Given: 727
Joined: Mar 2021
Round the edges of your tires more, like the Thunderslot tires. This will help with the transition of the rear tire over the braid or rail. On deceleration, if you’re pulling in one direction, I would rebuild the drivetrain meaning bearing/ bushings and axle set up to insure it’s square and not binding. Make sure the O rings have similar pressure or weight distribution over them on your pod. For me it’s been a finicky set up that I have been attempting to master. Rob may have hit the nail on the head with the tire potentially rubbing the interior.
(This post was last modified: 30th-Jun-21, 02:31 PM by
Brumos RSR.)
Posts: 2,513
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
So...
The rear wheels spin very freely by hand, so I had not suspecting body rub, hence my focus on the track rather than the car. There is a body post nearby, I will check. Also a part of the chassis wheel arch is close, but not as close as the other rear wheel. But again, I will look more closely...there is no play in the axle, so the clues should all be there for me!
I'm not hearing anyone say the tyres are ruined, so will get them back in the truer and try rounding the inner edges more effectively.
Thank you both!
[Ignore my comment regarding the left hand drift. My inline Bentley was definitely doing that, but now I have no recollection of seeing the Aston with a similar trait]
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 30th-Jun-21, 02:57 PM by
BAracer.)
•
Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 817 in 363 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
when do i post this bloody car ?
just when i think its finished . i do something else to it !!!!!!!
in my tin pot way , i feel i cannot do more , so it needs to be out of my sight
kev
Posts: 2,513
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
(2nd-Jul-21, 05:16 PM)OXO cube Wrote: when do i post this bloody car ?
October...keep going!
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 195
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 401 in 173 posts
Likes Given: 8
Joined: Mar 2021
Isn't it fun constantly removing the body, testing, trying different weights / positions, truing tires, different hubs, tire widths, narrower / wider front & rear hub positions, body roll, pod roll.....and that is just the start of it! So relaxing hey! Haha I know what you are going through!
Rob
Posts: 2,513
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Well that's me gone over to the dark side...
Lighter fuel applied to rubber tyres to assist with re-profiling.
No going back now!
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 2,513
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
And some cable shrink wrap to tidy up the wiring at the front...
Are we nearly there yet?
I love puttering with gears