Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Making urethane tyres
#21

(25th-Feb-21, 08:41 PM)Anthony B Wrote:  Gordon. My intention is to improve my skills and sell off my excess. Not as a business but more as a feeder of funds for my habit. So I am looking for some more old tyres with good writing still visible on sidewalls, as I will be making more moulds. I really like this urethane I am using as it is really grippy without being too soft. 

Another reason to sell excess , is to effectively use all the urethane , as I will need to cast in batches over a couple of weeks and that will imply huge stocks . I already have about 30 pairs of wide rear Monogram tyres ?
Damn!

We are already packing up for our move and I put the order into one of the packing cases that are now stacked in what was my track room. Frankly, it would probably mean moving all of them in order find the right box. Plus, they are all sealed solid.

When we are in the new place I will be happy to send you one of each of the six tyres for casting. I have some wide white points that are great for 24th scale F1s, Rannali something or other, Parma 7/8inch for 32nd scale F1, Monogram medium width 32nd scale, Cox 24th scale F1, Fleischman - can't remember what they are for but they fit my b-i-l's wheels and are good for old Indy cars etc.

Hopefully you will continue. We don't move until the 1st June so why we are almost packed I'm not sure. Probably after a friend of our left everything until the last minute and we spent hours round there desperately trying to help her pack it all up in a couple of days.
Quote
#22

The only easily available product here in Canada seems to be Alumilite ,  Ive used their Silicone rubber before but never urethane .
Can anyone recommend a compound from their range ?
Quote
#23

Hi AngloCanadian....have a look for SmoothOn products...they should be available in your area as they are an American business.

I have used their Reoflex and Vytaflex for tire making. Get the 40 shore as a starting point. It is available in starter packs which is enough to cast 100 plus tires if you are set up correctly. The only down side of this product is one pot starts to go off once opened. So I cast every day for a week and used most of the starter pack up. You need to get some dye or tint as well.

I think I shared my experience here in another thread.

@Anthony....good to read you are up an away with casting tires....well done, sir.
[+] 1 member Likes munter's post
Quote
#24

(23rd-May-21, 01:24 AM)munter Wrote:  Hi AngloCanadian....have a look for SmoothOn products...they should be available in your area as they are an American business.

I have used their Reoflex and Vytaflex for tire making. 

What's the difference?

...and is there a performance difference on the track?

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#25

Quote:What's the difference?

...and is there a performance difference on the track?


None that I could tell....I guess if I studied the tech sheets there might be some differences but I didn't detect any in real terms.

They mixed and poured the same, they cured the same.

It is some time ago that I made any. I am still working through my stock.
[+] 2 members Like munter's post
Quote
#26

I’ve also embarked on tire making. It’s been incredibly rewarding. I’m working my way thru all my cars (mostly 1/32 Carrera and Fly) - making rear and front tires to replace hardened tires.  I’ve even made tires for the Carrera Mustang GTY and a couple 1/24 Carrera cars.  Thus far I’ve used Shore 20 urethane with great results, but may try shore 30 or 40 just to see how they compare.
[+] 2 members Like GT_Bob's post
Quote
#27

The guys that race urethane shod proxies say Paul Gage PGT's are best and they're 40 shore by all accounts.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#28

(25th-Mar-22, 09:31 AM)Kevan Wrote:  The guys that race urethane shod proxies say Paul Gage PGT's are best and they're 40 shore by all accounts.

They are good but the best is an eternal search...in my last proxy I used my my own 40 shore urethanes with some success.
Quote
#29

I suppose it's what's mostly available that's going to be mentioned most which skews the favouritism.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#30

"Absolutely right - to get perfect looking on both sides would require a two part mould. At the moment beyond my skills....but who knows in the future."

To get perfect yes a two part mould would be needed. What I did for vintage Grand Prix tyres was to place the tyre on an 'O' ring and then pour the silicone for the mould. This created a lip, pour or syringe the urethane into the mould and then when take the tyre out you have a double sided side wall with a urethane 'O' ring which trims off nicely by spinning the tyre and a sharp blade
[+] 3 members Like GT40Racer's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gordon Steadman
12th-Dec-20, 08:44 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)