Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Triumph TR7 Refurbs
#71

(17th-May-21, 12:22 PM)BARacer Wrote:  So what's the reason everyone has gone long can with inline? 

I was going s-can, but am now curious...

tbh the only reason i used that motor is because i already had the inline pod printed ( laziness)
the chassis design would take an IL or AW pod 
was easier just use that and that Ninco NC6 motor was a spare 
it was just a time thing , due to work commitments
actually the weight distribution has worked out well with that motor setup ( so haven't added any )and the whole thing comes in at 89g 'with' the original interior and glazing , so could be a lot lighter 
went for 8 x 26 gearing a little bit more brake and grunt hopefully from a lack luster motor ( rally circuits in mind )
haven't had time to try it yet so this weekends B2JG will be its 1st outing as a bit of a side note , but feels smooth and is very quiet when powered

kev
[+] 1 member Likes OXO cube's post
Quote
#72

Aren't Rally Slot cars typically inline (in club and event rules) ?
If I made it anglewinder , I'd be up against the moslers  Tappingfoot
Quote
#73

I was thinking inline s-can. Just to spice things up, I think I will go that way!

edit...or is the long can option to maximise magnetic motor attraction?

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#74

This is where you have to go the way you want to go.  Thumbup
There is no right answer. 
Alan
Quote
#75

(17th-May-21, 01:36 PM)Nonfractal Wrote:  Aren't Rally Slot cars typically inline (in club and event rules) ?
If I made it anglewinder , I'd be up against the moslers  Tappingfoot

i knew there was another reason  Bigsmile
Quote
#76

Going long!

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#77

Oh crap... why did I have to find this thread *checks ebay*
[+] 1 member Likes AdeC's post
Quote
#78

   

Not going to fabricate the wheel arches after all.
I just don't have materials or the skills
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#79

Yes, the rally rules require in line. However, there are exceptions for some events. 
The advantages of the Long Can vs the S Can are that the Long Can has almost twice the torque of the S Can, for the same rpm motor. And, the extra weight helps lower the centre of gravity. The Flat 6 is another option, has a bit more torque than the S, but not as much as a Long. It helps lower the centre of gravity and is shallower, so may be the only option in some cases.

My preference is to go for 21,500 -22,500rpm Long Can motors as these have 300-450gm.cm  stall torque, gearing can give you the top end or bottom end performance you want, and, regenerative braking seems a lot better than on higher revving motors. I think this is probably due to the amount of rotational kinetic energy that is present in the higher revving motors at the top of their rpm range.

I've seen a Scaleauto Junior motor, which is 18,000rpm and 300gm.cm. This may be even better for acceleration and braking response, so am tempted to try one. I am just a bit nervous that it may not have the legs for our club track main straight, but should be good on all rally tracks.
[+] 1 member Likes classicchrisk's post
Quote
#80

I have a spare Scaleauto junior sprinter left over from my DiSCA GT3 builds, so that's the way I am going to go with my motor.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by 964rh
21st-May-21, 05:58 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)