Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
So all the advice is to use NSR tyres for your fast cars, but when a packet of 4 Supergrips contains the following three examples, you have to question their manufacturing methods.
I can't remember where I bought these from, but the fact they even made it into the pack puts me off spending my money with them.
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,028 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
They’ll glue & true nicely
Honest.
Place the deformed side to the back of the hub.
(This post was last modified: 10th-May-21, 07:48 AM by
woodcote.)
•
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Really???
I thought we got excited about untwisting twisted chassis, but it's ok to run on these with a bit of sandpapering!
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
I started a thread on slot.it tyres a while back.
It drifted off topic but but there is useful NSR tyre info in there.
"A bit of sandpapering " will never be enough prep for supers/ultras.
Alan
https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p...ent&page=3
My 2021 proxy cars have all been shod with NSR 5260 to date.
I've had problems with the cars (guides, centre of gravity, ground clearance) but not with the tyres.
(This post was last modified: 10th-May-21, 08:45 AM by
Nonfractal.)
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I meant gluing and truing of course, but to me, these examples cannot be as effective as some completely round ones.
However, I will g+t them on some hubs and will compare them against some perfectly round N22s.
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
(10th-May-21, 09:08 AM)BARacer Wrote: I meant gluing and truing of course, but to me, these examples cannot be as effective as some completely round ones.
However, I will g+t them on some hubs and will compare them against some perfectly round N22s.
The older nsr tyres cannot be simply skimmed.
Only the full glue and true treatment gives them any hope of working.
Any pair of tyres has to be trued to the same diameter on the wheel to be ready for the track.
NSR tyre prep is where knowledge, money ( a Hudy ) and patience pays dividends.
I borrow a truer when I have to work with NSR supers, but the truth is, they are a lot of work to get right.
Consequently, I use NSR reds for club racing and 5260s when the host event or club forbids non-black tyres.
Alan
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,028 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
I’ve found the NSR UltraGrips glue & true nicely on my DIY truer (
here).The harder SuperGrips need a bit more work. Both need lots of patience - as do any tyres on that set-up. I’m sure a Hudy tyre truer will get them ship-shape much quicker.
•
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Whatever I do, I still think there will be dimple in the surface of the tyre due to the imperfection.
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 10th-May-21, 11:36 AM by
BAracer.)
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
If you're just making a runner for your home track? They will do fine.
If you're entering a competition? Get better tires and put those aside for a home-track car. You'll lose sleep over it.
You're in a bind because you can't send them back.
The Hudy will teach them a lesson they'll never forget!
Ken
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I need to make them a bit narrower on the inside edge, so will try out the little needle tyre cutter on the Hudy.
And I do need to take a bit off the diameter to get them to the size I want. So I might end up without any imperfections after all.
Then I'll have a N22 / Supergrip showdown!
I love puttering with gears