10th-Feb-21, 02:23 PM
Making urethane tyres
10th-Feb-21, 02:55 PM
this stuff goes off quickly. \will letr this batch fully cure.Then need to rethink quantities and see the results of my first run and revise.
10th-Feb-21, 03:55 PM
Watching this with interest.
Might be tempted to have a go myself one day.
Might be tempted to have a go myself one day.
Very interested in just how messy and smelly this processes is
10th-Feb-21, 04:12 PM
10th-Feb-21, 04:43 PM
i used munters guide also and everything was good
except:-
be sure to use the absolute minimal amount of dye when mixing
not only does it go a very very long way
( be sure to wear the surgical type gloves )( looked like i had frost bite finger for a few days after lol )
but too much dye has a detrimental effect on the resulting tyre grip
my 1st attempt was shore 30 ( 40 is better imo ) and due to using too much dye , the grip was rubbish
looking at manufactured urethanes ( eg:- ortmann ) , they are slightly transparent
just an fyi
hope it helps
kev
btw :-
you prob have enough material there for about 400 - 500 tyres
except:-
be sure to use the absolute minimal amount of dye when mixing
not only does it go a very very long way
( be sure to wear the surgical type gloves )( looked like i had frost bite finger for a few days after lol )
but too much dye has a detrimental effect on the resulting tyre grip
my 1st attempt was shore 30 ( 40 is better imo ) and due to using too much dye , the grip was rubbish
looking at manufactured urethanes ( eg:- ortmann ) , they are slightly transparent
just an fyi
hope it helps
kev
btw :-
you prob have enough material there for about 400 - 500 tyres
10th-Feb-21, 04:59 PM
This is something I think I will have to do.
With Bruno at Slotcarstyres having died and the business still not sold on, my main supply has gone. I had just got to the stage where I knew which of his tyres fitted each type of wheel I use..... most have been custom made for me by my brother in law..... so his method of properly noting the dimensions of each tyre rather than what commercial wheels they fit or some wierd list of letters and numbers carefully designed to confuse my tired old brain, was a godsend.
At least the existing tyres aren't getting worn out as racing doesn't happen and my track is no more.
With Bruno at Slotcarstyres having died and the business still not sold on, my main supply has gone. I had just got to the stage where I knew which of his tyres fitted each type of wheel I use..... most have been custom made for me by my brother in law..... so his method of properly noting the dimensions of each tyre rather than what commercial wheels they fit or some wierd list of letters and numbers carefully designed to confuse my tired old brain, was a godsend.
At least the existing tyres aren't getting worn out as racing doesn't happen and my track is no more.
10th-Feb-21, 06:21 PM
Good work
Me, for my sins, would rather buy them cos I am a lazy git, but kudos for you having a go.
What tyre was the mould taken from? the tyre lettering is a nice detail
Me, for my sins, would rather buy them cos I am a lazy git, but kudos for you having a go.
What tyre was the mould taken from? the tyre lettering is a nice detail
10th-Feb-21, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys....
Gathering my thoughts let me start at the beginning.
To start off you need a supply of tyres that you wish to copy. They can be rock hard old tyres so long as they have not expanded as your copies will be just that exact copies, and thus is this case with a too large inner diameter.
Then you need to make silicone moulds of these tyres.
I take a cheap 'frites' dispenser that is made of thin cardboard. (I get these stocks from a large retailer of stationery and food supplies for small takeaway shops). Added to this you need to have disposable spoons, scrapers, ice cream type cups and stirrers - refer pic's below.
You will need a digital scale.
You glue the tyres you wish to copy to the bottom of the frites tub with contact glue.
let it dry. Then mix up your silicone mix - calculate enough to cover the tyres with enough to cover completely cover the biggest tyres.
This will take anything with to 15 hours to completely cure/dry. (mine took about 90 mins - Bonus :) ) ENSURE that you gently tap the tub to remove any air bubbles as it starts to cure - pour the silicone slowly and evenly into the tub to reduce air bubbles. You will need to measure the weight of each part of the silicone into their own ice cream tub, as it normally is 1:1 to mix. I got these silicone supplies from Amazon Germany
Once cured, you then remove the original tyres. I cut the cardbord tub apart and pull off the base gently, to avoid damage to the mould.
You are then ready to pour your tyre urethane (polyurethane). I got my solutions from Alec Tiranti & co in UK. (as mentioned in another thread they will not at the moment post outside UK - I used family for help in this)
My first mistake was to use too much of the two mixture parts into the ice cream tubs - It says on the label that is has a pot life of 8 mins - mine was going off after 1 min- so trick is to pour small volume - +/- 20g . You need to add black tint otherwise it dries clearish. You mix the 3 items, and then once stirred you use syringe to suck it up and inject into the mould. I landed up using 1 syringe per batch. But as they are 3 euros for 10 - not expensive.
In terms of cost, I would say including moulds, the total cost is around 95 euros. BUT a LOT of the equipment is used to make multiple batches of tyres.
In my first batch, because I was not ready for the fast curing, I made some mistakes on the tyres. I cast 47 and 9 were duds - refer pics. However I will use those for decoration on my track - so not a complete waste.
If you buy for eg 6x4 sets of tyres -probably cost 35 euros? For that I will make a few hundred tyres I am sure.- Time will tell.
First Batch:
The duds
I have to thank John Warren HUGELY for the impetus, and the sharing of his knowledge to get me going down this road. I hope this helps you, and feel free to ask question :)
Gathering my thoughts let me start at the beginning.
To start off you need a supply of tyres that you wish to copy. They can be rock hard old tyres so long as they have not expanded as your copies will be just that exact copies, and thus is this case with a too large inner diameter.
Then you need to make silicone moulds of these tyres.
I take a cheap 'frites' dispenser that is made of thin cardboard. (I get these stocks from a large retailer of stationery and food supplies for small takeaway shops). Added to this you need to have disposable spoons, scrapers, ice cream type cups and stirrers - refer pic's below.
You will need a digital scale.
You glue the tyres you wish to copy to the bottom of the frites tub with contact glue.
let it dry. Then mix up your silicone mix - calculate enough to cover the tyres with enough to cover completely cover the biggest tyres.
This will take anything with to 15 hours to completely cure/dry. (mine took about 90 mins - Bonus :) ) ENSURE that you gently tap the tub to remove any air bubbles as it starts to cure - pour the silicone slowly and evenly into the tub to reduce air bubbles. You will need to measure the weight of each part of the silicone into their own ice cream tub, as it normally is 1:1 to mix. I got these silicone supplies from Amazon Germany
Once cured, you then remove the original tyres. I cut the cardbord tub apart and pull off the base gently, to avoid damage to the mould.
You are then ready to pour your tyre urethane (polyurethane). I got my solutions from Alec Tiranti & co in UK. (as mentioned in another thread they will not at the moment post outside UK - I used family for help in this)
My first mistake was to use too much of the two mixture parts into the ice cream tubs - It says on the label that is has a pot life of 8 mins - mine was going off after 1 min- so trick is to pour small volume - +/- 20g . You need to add black tint otherwise it dries clearish. You mix the 3 items, and then once stirred you use syringe to suck it up and inject into the mould. I landed up using 1 syringe per batch. But as they are 3 euros for 10 - not expensive.
In terms of cost, I would say including moulds, the total cost is around 95 euros. BUT a LOT of the equipment is used to make multiple batches of tyres.
In my first batch, because I was not ready for the fast curing, I made some mistakes on the tyres. I cast 47 and 9 were duds - refer pics. However I will use those for decoration on my track - so not a complete waste.
If you buy for eg 6x4 sets of tyres -probably cost 35 euros? For that I will make a few hundred tyres I am sure.- Time will tell.
First Batch:
The duds
I have to thank John Warren HUGELY for the impetus, and the sharing of his knowledge to get me going down this road. I hope this helps you, and feel free to ask question :)
10th-Feb-21, 07:40 PM
@ at Gordon - shattered to hear Bruno died? What happened.
@ Savage - they are old Monogram tyres from the 60's
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)