Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
The site appears to be loading fine for me with zero issues. A suggestion perhaps is for everyone to clear their browser cache/history, reboot and try again. Clearing browser cache will allow the browser to download the new site data which is what we want.
•
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Johnno.
Clearing caches shouldn't really be necessary. All the new stuff, apart from the home page, has a new address, as theyre all php pages now, so they'll all end .php not .html. I'm adding redirects on all the old html pages, so hopefully if people have bookmarks or links anywhere, they will be taken to the corresponding new page.
•
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
When I started this thread I said I was hoping to make all the changes seamless, and I anticipated it taking a few months.
The first I've managed so far, but the second got shot to pieces as soon as I started work on the Library. I underestimated the work involved in changing around 200 web pages, and I also underestimated my capacity to get distracted from what is quite boring work, by almost anything.
I'm not going to beat myself up over it, but I just wanted to explain to those who've been sending me scans that I have to finish this process before I can add anything new. All the scans are very much appreciated and I will get them all added, but I'm afraid you will have to be patient for now.
Posts: 882
Threads: 51
Likes Received: 2,386 in 709 posts
Likes Given: 2,635
Joined: Apr 2019
Location The Netherlands
Hello Jason,
Do not worry if you need some more time adding scans from catalogues into your splendid library. Your work is really much appreciated and should still be fun for you.
Maybe it is much easier and less time consuming to omit the table of content for each catalogue.
My peronal view is; it is the catalogue that is most important, but for sure, with a table of content it is even better.
What do you think about my suggestion?
Hub
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Hello Jason,
SlotRacer.Online is the best of breed in terms of facilities for slot-car enthusiasts, so your efforts are bearing fruit whilst older forums are standing still.
Its grand having a modern resource like this and that it is not suffering with difficulties encountered on the old forum. It is testament to the forum's appeal that people are contributing lots of stuff to expand the resource.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Thank you gents.
Hub, yes it would be easier if I didn't add the table of contents, but then it would be impossible to find the content through a search.
At the moment though I'm still reformatting old pages that already have the contents, so it's not an issue.
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,026 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
I'm liking the look of the refurbished Library
The potted histories of the manufacturers and magazines are an excellent touch.
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Andy.
Actually it's not yet finished, as I need to go round making sure all the links are correct, and put redirects on all the old pages.
However, as you say, and for the benefit of everybody else, I have indeed almost finished my little refurb of the Library. I've cleaned up some dusty old corners, added some graphics and info for each section, and added some pop up navigation in line with the other new sections.
As with the other sections, it should all feel fairly familiar, but slightly improved, hopefully.
Posts: 882
Threads: 51
Likes Received: 2,386 in 709 posts
Likes Given: 2,635
Joined: Apr 2019
Location The Netherlands
You did a great job, Jason. Well done.
Hub
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
•