Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 816 in 362 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
(17th-May-21, 12:22 PM)BARacer Wrote: So what's the reason everyone has gone long can with inline?
I was going s-can, but am now curious...
tbh the only reason i used that motor is because i already had the inline pod printed ( laziness)
the chassis design would take an IL or AW pod
was easier just use that and that Ninco NC6 motor was a spare
it was just a time thing , due to work commitments
actually the weight distribution has worked out well with that motor setup ( so haven't added any )and the whole thing comes in at 89g 'with' the original interior and glazing , so could be a lot lighter
went for 8 x 26 gearing a little bit more brake and grunt hopefully from a lack luster motor ( rally circuits in mind )
haven't had time to try it yet so this weekends B2JG will be its 1st outing as a bit of a side note , but feels smooth and is very quiet when powered
kev
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Aren't Rally Slot cars typically inline (in club and event rules) ?
If I made it anglewinder , I'd be up against the moslers
(This post was last modified: 17th-May-21, 01:36 PM by
Nonfractal.)
•
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I was thinking inline s-can. Just to spice things up, I think I will go that way!
edit...or is the long can option to maximise magnetic motor attraction?
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 17th-May-21, 01:46 PM by
BAracer.)
•
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
This is where you have to go the way you want to go.
There is no right answer.
Alan
•
Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 816 in 362 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
(17th-May-21, 01:36 PM)Nonfractal Wrote: Aren't Rally Slot cars typically inline (in club and event rules) ?
If I made it anglewinder , I'd be up against the moslers 
i knew there was another reason
•
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Going long!
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 307
Threads: 20
Likes Received: 583 in 224 posts
Likes Given: 497
Joined: Dec 2020
Location Herne Bay
Oh crap... why did I have to find this thread *checks ebay*
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Not going to fabricate the wheel arches after all.
I just don't have materials or the skills
Posts: 132
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 101 in 60 posts
Likes Given: 457
Joined: Apr 2021
Yes, the rally rules require in line. However, there are exceptions for some events.
The advantages of the Long Can vs the S Can are that the Long Can has almost twice the torque of the S Can, for the same rpm motor. And, the extra weight helps lower the centre of gravity. The Flat 6 is another option, has a bit more torque than the S, but not as much as a Long. It helps lower the centre of gravity and is shallower, so may be the only option in some cases.
My preference is to go for 21,500 -22,500rpm Long Can motors as these have 300-450gm.cm stall torque, gearing can give you the top end or bottom end performance you want, and, regenerative braking seems a lot better than on higher revving motors. I think this is probably due to the amount of rotational kinetic energy that is present in the higher revving motors at the top of their rpm range.
I've seen a Scaleauto Junior motor, which is 18,000rpm and 300gm.cm. This may be even better for acceleration and braking response, so am tempted to try one. I am just a bit nervous that it may not have the legs for our club track main straight, but should be good on all rally tracks.
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
I have a spare Scaleauto junior sprinter left over from my DiSCA GT3 builds, so that's the way I am going to go with my motor.
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 19th-May-21, 07:35 AM by
BAracer.)