Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
When I was a kid I'd pretend my diecast dinky cars had some kind of motor (it was my hand pushing it) and pretend it was being raced on a track (it was a pile of wooden blocks laid into a circuit)...and I'd pretend I was racing one car against another
... that's 'playing'
Move forwards a few decades and all that pretend isn't pretend any more, it's real, it's not my hand pushing that car, it's not a pretend track and that imaginary car I was racing is actually hard to catch and the laps my cars are doing are measured by computer and all this captured on video, uploaded to YouTube and watched by others.
If you want to call racing your Slot cars playing it sounds like you missed out as a kid.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
“If you want to call racing your Slot cars playing it sounds like you missed out as a kid.“
Really, Kevan?
(This post was last modified: 1st-Oct-24, 06:14 PM by
munter.)
•
Posts: 193
Threads: 23
Likes Received: 326 in 126 posts
Likes Given: 922
Joined: Apr 2019
I got a Faller set when I was 8 years old, always played with it.
Since I stopped racing at clubs I play at home, even using ghost cars (SSD/Magic app)
Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
(1st-Oct-24, 01:29 PM)Kevan Wrote: If you want to call racing your Slot cars playing it sounds like you missed out as a kid.
Comparing my childhood slot playing with what I do now, you
could say I missed-out. However, my parents' priority was keeping myself and my brothers fed, clothed, safe and warm.
Back then I had a basic Scalextric figure-of-eight set with a couple of extra track pieces and a couple of extra cars. Now I have enough track (but not enough room.....) for a 60mtr rally loop, and between 50 and 60 cars.
The difference.......? What you can afford.
I have a notice in my attic that reads "We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing".
Best regards,
Stuart.
(This post was last modified: 2nd-Oct-24, 07:32 AM by
StuBeeDoo.)
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
I love the F50GT. Nice work.
Mine is 3DP.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Over the years I've always looked at other peoples repaints with envy because it's something I'd like to be able to do but hate doing, hence not good at
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
(3rd-Oct-24, 06:50 AM)Kevan Wrote: Over the years I've always looked at other peoples repaints with envy because it's something I'd like to be able to do but hate doing, hence not good at 
If you visited my workshop for an hour. You would walk away an educated painter, and love to paint cars after that.
Instructional videos will help you understand the theory. But the best way is to have an experienced painter watch what mistakes you might be making on a one-on-one level. How you apply the paint really matters.
I'll paint a car as a demo. It only takes 20-minutes from start to finish. Then you paint a car right after. I'll coach. But you'll be doing all the painting. It's a quick way to learn.
Let me know when you're visiting Canada next?
Warm regards,
Ken
(This post was last modified: 3rd-Oct-24, 01:10 PM by
KensRedZed.)
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I've only ever been outside the UK once and that was over 40 years ago so can't see me ever visiting Canada but thanks for the offer Ken
Thinking about it the thing I dislike is the masking, basic painting I'm ok with and don't mind especially as my daughter bought me an airbrush for Christmas 2022
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 272
Threads: 59
Likes Received: 298 in 137 posts
Likes Given: 439
Joined: Nov 2023
Location Gateshead, Tyneside, UK
(3rd-Oct-24, 06:50 AM)Kevan Wrote: Over the years I've always looked at other peoples repaints with envy because it's something I'd like to be able to do but hate doing, hence not good at 
I'm not good at it. I wish I was...........
Also, my facilities aren't good - the only place I have to spray is a draughty, leaky, unheated garage. All the spraying I do has to be done on warm, dry, calm days. Here in the North East of England, that severely limits the time I have. That I have sprayed 12 bodies this year isn't far short of a miracle.
As for masking, I'm not good at that either. That's one of the reasons I stick to plain liveries.
.......And, in any case, no-one but me ever sees the fruits of my spraying labour. Although I suppose my step-daughter will see them when I'm gone and she's consigning everything I leave behind to the bin.
Best regards,
Stuart.